cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 320 Series 080Gb SSD Low speed

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good afternoon. I installed this drive into your laptop Lenovo B560 and saw much reduced rate. Install all the drivers from the official site. AHCI mode is enabled. Tested the drive program CrystalDiskMark and saw the following results

seq read 218mb/s seq write 94mb/s 4K read 15mb/s 4K write 23mb/s After installing the drive in a desktop computer has the following results seq read 272mb/s seq write 96mb/s 4K read 30mb/s 4K write 63mb/s What could be the reason for this slowing down? Thank you. PS. Sorry for my English.
12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I assume you have Windows and programs installed on the SSD. Then seeing these kinds or results are exactly what you would expect, and is not in any way a sign that anything is wrong with the SSD or the setup. Windows and the programs are using the SSDs at the same time as the benchmark is running. This will naturally result in lower numbers in the benchmark. When you boot into safe mode most programs and services aren't started so there are fewer things using the SSD while the benchmark is run, and so you get higher numbers.

The drop in performance from when the SSD was new is also perfectly normal. Part is that SSD perform better when in a completely clean state and the performance then drop a bit as the SSD settles in. The other part is probably that you usually end up with more stuff running over time as you install additional programs on Windows.

The only way to really get reliable benchmarking number is to put the SSD as a secondary drive in another machine so that nothing is using the SSD while it is being benchmarked. Even so Crystal Disk Mark and AS SSD aren't that accurate a benchmark, and you should always take the number with a grain of salt, and remember to consider an interval of plus/minus 10 percent.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Using msconfig I disabled most of the services and programs, even more than in safe mode. The result is not achieved. I will contact Lenovo on this issue. Also, on my drive from 74Gb left no visible system 5GB, 50GB free. You can try to raise a support system bus using SetFSB, but I do not think it will give the result.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

mralpha:

It makes sense to me what you say. If you run the sysinternals process monitor there is a lot of file/registry activity going on. The OS doesn't stand still. And, I use the SSD as my main drive.

Still, if you look at my numbers there is roughly a 40% increase in speed for reads between normal mode and safe mode. Is all the software & drivers that run in normal mode but don't run in safe mode affecting the speed to this degree?