cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 330 SSD 180GB - can't change MacBook Pro from 1.5 to 3.0 negotiated link speed

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey everyone,

I have a mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. I recently replaced the factory 160GB HDD with the Intel 330 SSD (180GB). For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the negotiated link speed from 1.5 Gigabit to 3.0 Gigabit, even though this version of the MacBook Pro is new enough to support 3.0.

I've been doing some research and it seems as if this is a recurring problem with the Intel 330 SSD and the MacBook Pro. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Jay

19 REPLIES 19

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's an update: I restarted, and my link speed dropped back to 1.5 Gpbs. And now it's stuck there .. I'm trying various combinations of SMC, PRAM, etc.. will let you know if I sucessfully get it back up to 3 gbps

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well.. I give up It's stuck at 1.5. I downgraded, upgraded, did it with my left hand, right hand, stood on my head, typed with my feet.. I tried everything. Who knows why it went to 3 to start with.

Even at 1.5 it's much faster than my HDD, so I guess I'll shut up and wait till I buy a new machine next year. Or I'll return the Intel SSD and get an OCZ/Samsung

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yikes! Man, this is ridiculous. Intel and/or Apple should really be doing something about this.

Will retry again soon! Thanks again, and good luck to you as well!

Jay

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

im a mac & intel user for a long time, having the same problem,

i just bought the intel drive because the "great co-op" between intel and apple products.

having the same problem and can't find any solution.

i came to an understanding that i wont find one either...

one thing i know for sure...

as a software engineer, i will not recommend intel products anymore if this annoying issue will not solve, starting today...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After several months of searching for a solution for this, I found a post where a guy wrapped the SATA cable with aluminium foil, and that solved the problem. I tried this and now i always get 3.0 negotiated link speed! This solution is worth a try, it solved the problem for me.