cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 330 SSD 180GB - can't change MacBook Pro from 1.5 to 3.0 negotiated link speed

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey everyone,

I have a mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. I recently replaced the factory 160GB HDD with the Intel 330 SSD (180GB). For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the negotiated link speed from 1.5 Gigabit to 3.0 Gigabit, even though this version of the MacBook Pro is new enough to support 3.0.

I've been doing some research and it seems as if this is a recurring problem with the Intel 330 SSD and the MacBook Pro. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Jay

19 REPLIES 19

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OCZ also has patched their firmware. I have to disagree about responsibility. The nvidia chipset was released before sata III. so a company making a new product should not concern themselves with compatibility issues with their product, if they believe it is not their issue? The company no longer selling the original product should?

I did not see in the product literature that some Nvidia chipsets may not be able negotiate with the drive at the PCs peak capabilities.

Maybe it is an Nvidia issue, but I have not found any information on other SATA III drives (non-SandForce) having this problem. It is isolated to SandForce, and others have workarounds. OCZ doesn't reduce performance for SATA III connections with their fix.

i just don't understand why Intel wouldn't want satisfied customers. i suspect there are a lot of people with older system looking to upgrade to SSDs.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OCZ created a firmware "kludge" for the Vertex 3 series, that is all. You are wrong about those OCZ SSDs not being locked into SATA II mode, when they apply that workaround. The SanDisk SSD workaround for the Nvidia controller is exactly the same.

The new OCZ Vertex 4 does not use a SandForce controller, but reacts the same way when connected to the Nvidia SATA chipset, it runs at SATA I speeds. Posts about that in the Vertex 4 forum.

The problem is the Nvidia SATA controller and driver, not a new discovery or revelation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Any news regarding this? Should I return my Intel 330 SSD saying that it doesn't work properly?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the exact same problem with my late 2008 Unibody MacBook with NVidia MCP79 AHCI and Intel 330 240GB SSD. Is there anything we can do to get Intel to fix the 1.5 negotiated link speed?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I found a solution.

I have a June 2009 MBP, and an Intel 330 240 GB. Exact same issue, link speed showing up as 3 Gbps, but negotiated link speed only at 1.5 Gbps.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Reset SMC -> No change

2. Reset PRAM -> No change

3. Downgraded EFI to version 1.6 -> No change

To downgrade, follow this ->

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13915069&postcount=708 http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=708

4. Ran Software Upgrade to upgrade EFI to 1.7 -> Worked! 3 Gbps!

My Read/Write speeds have doubled. From 100/120 to 180/220

I'm a happy camper now. I think the forced downgrade/upgrade was what did it, though the prior PRAM and SMC resets may have had something to do with it.

I'm running Mountain Lion, in case that has anything to do with this. Hope this works for you too.