cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 330 freezes on MacBook/Mac OS X Lion

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I installed an Intel 330 SSD (120GB) in my MacBook (4,1) a few weeks ago. I reinstalled a fresh Mac OS X Lion (10.7.4) to make sure there are no issues with the new drive. However, since then I encounter random and pretty frequent freezes (~10, daily).

The entire OS freezes for 10-30 seconds, the cursor (the infamous beach ball) still moves but no application responds to input.

I don't know whether the drive is malfunctioning or the problem is with the OS. I see other people having this issue and I'm wondering if anyone has any clues as to where to start investigating. If I am to return the drive, I need some proof that it's malfunctioning. Or, if the OS has incompatibility issues with Intel drives/SandForce controllers, I might buy a second different drive.

At the moment I'm trying to use fs_usage (as I'm writing this message), hoping to find a clue about what's causing the freezes.

Any input on this issue would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is the same problem others are experiencing on Windows systems. I have a 330 in my Lenovo T61 and it hangs randomly for 30 seconds as well. The guys on that other forum have figured out a couple of work arounds YMMV but it does nothing for Mac OS.

I have a Macbook Pro as well so was planning on moving my 330 into it, but found this thread before hand. Since it seems like Intel is ignoring the issue by refusing to update the firmware, I think I will have to RMA the 330.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Me too.

My MacBook Pro was 470 (2008 late,MacBook Pro 5,1 Boot ROM:MBP51.007E.B06).I bought an intel 330 SSD 120G for my 470. My OS was 10.8.2. And I found my 470 got some freezes often whenever I turned Trim On or OFF. I thought the SSD's fireware had a bug for OS 10.8.x.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Me too.

Macbook pro 4,1. Intel 330.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After trying everything I could find on Google (hdapm, trim, cheking the ioregistry and the kexts, even booting knoppix and fiddling with hdparm on linux) the only thing that finally worked for me is the aluminium foil wrapping the SATA cable.

The method that started to throw some light was shutting down and doing a cold start. I could see in the System Information app that the SATA port of the SSD normally had a negotiated link speed of 1.5Gb and I was experiencing the beachballs. But sometimes the negotiated speed was 3Gb, and those times the SSD was working well. Then after sleep or restarting again, the beachballs came back.

So I wrapped the SATA cable on the macbook in aluminium foil as somebody said on a forum. All the cable, from the motherboard to the sata connector. Now I always get 3Gb negotiated link speed and the freezes are gone.