cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 330 frequent "frozen" state message - but can access the drive(new, unpartitioned)

cguy1
New Contributor

I have a 180GB 330 series SSD brought 2years back which I yesterday connected to my PC so as to install Debian Gnu/Linux. I haven't even put a disk partition table(MBR/GPT) and the SSD is "untouched". I booted gparted live cd and ran hdparm -I /dev/sda and it showed:

Security:

Master password revision code = 65534

supported

not enabled

not locked

frozen

not expired: security count

supported: enhanced erase

I power cycled and secure erased SSD and everything went fine. Then, I hoped everything is fine. but, when I try gparted live for partitioning, I ran hdparm -I /dev/sda again, and it shows the same "frozen" message. I have a dying 160GB Sata Seagate HDD and a Asus DVD RW(Sata) also connected to the motherboard. Motherboard is Intel DH67CL1(bios updated to latest).

Additional details: BIOS - AHCI mode, UEFI(available,not activated).

My doubt is, whether the SSD is bricked/DOA or if I can unfreeze and install Linux hoping SSD will not freeze again? Below is the SMART details for the drive:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/8332095/ http://paste.ubuntu.com/8332095/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

The Security Freeze state only prevents changes to the security settings but if the drive is locked then you will not have access or be able to make any changes to the drive.

The BIOS and OS will put the drive in the Security Freeze state most of the time. Most Linux versions will not put in this state when coming out of sleep.

The drive should only be in the Locked state if the drive has an ATA password assigned (either the Master or User password). You may need to make sure the correct password is entered when the system boots.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Try putting the drive to sleep in Linux* and then wake it up; this should clear the security frozen state.

The security freeze should not stop you from installing the operating system or partitioning but only prevents changes to the drives security features, such as setting up the drive's password.

@joe_intel I have secure erased once to unfreeze the drive. on next reboot, it got locked again, possibly by BIOS. If I unfreeze and complete the installation, is that ok? I assume on each boot BIOS will lock/freeze SSD.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

The Security Freeze state only prevents changes to the security settings but if the drive is locked then you will not have access or be able to make any changes to the drive.

The BIOS and OS will put the drive in the Security Freeze state most of the time. Most Linux versions will not put in this state when coming out of sleep.

The drive should only be in the Locked state if the drive has an ATA password assigned (either the Master or User password). You may need to make sure the correct password is entered when the system boots.

@joe_intel: yes sir, hdparm tool shows that drive is not locked "not locked" in the output. So, Can I ignore the "frozen" message from hdparm? the drive is not locked, but frozen. can I continue installation? I am using Intel DH67CL1 Motherboard in UEFI mode.