cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 335 180GB stuck in read-only mode?

KClar2
New Contributor

My SSD (Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 180GB) is in read-only mode. I have Windows 8.1 Pro installed on it. I am unable to install any Steam games on it because the drive is read-only. I tried changing the permission in the properties menu but it did not work.

4 REPLIES 4

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I am sorry for this issue.

Perhaps you may need to verify if your account has the necessary administrator rights or privileges to install the desired software.

You may use the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 Intel® SSD Toolbox just in order to discard any hardware issue.

I just ran a quick and full diagnostic which found no issue. The firmware is also the latest version. I right clicked on the drive and gave my account permission to read, write, execute, and modify but that did nothing. I also tried to change the folder Steam needs to write to to writable but the read-only attribute gets applied right away. I think this may be an issue with Windows 8.1 more than the SSD.

KClar2
New Contributor

Also, when I try to apply the user permission to files, it says it can't apply it to hyberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and all the other system files plus some files like {btrbtngnyjnokmodfnvknrfkvIUUuIOLMNJ}

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

It is possible this is and operating system issue.