cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 510s 250gb RAID 0 - Very low performance

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, 1st post here. I just bought a couple of these drives and picked them over Vertex 3 due to reliability. However I'm running a RAID 0 and getting rather low performance in every benchmark I've tested:

Crystalmark for example:

Seq read: 545, write: 453

512k read: 322, write: 416

4k read: 15, write: 30

4kQD32 read: 159, write: 100

Get very similar results in AS SSD

System:

This is a brand new M18x Laptop

i7 2920xm

8 GB Ram 1866

Windows 7 64

I did a fresh install, disabled the defrag and indexing

My stripe is 465GB and the Raid is configured with 128KB Blocks.

I did install the Intel Rapid Storage Driver

Any ideas?

Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yup thats the problem, that because port 1 is @ 3gb it's bringing the actual Raid 0 down to 3 gb/s instead of 6gb/s (SATA 3).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My German friend, thanks for all the help. My issue has been resolved and working for a good part of the day.

I'm sure I can get some better 4k, but in all honesty I probably won't need it that much anyhow.

Once again, thx for the help and the info. + rep

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, those are some wild numbers is both benchmarks! Basically exactly twice the single drive speeds. Breaking the 1GB/s barrier with permanent storage, nice.

The 4K numbers are odd, as my single 120GB 510 does better than that, as I imagine each of your 250GB 510's do on their own. I wonder what causes that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, the numbers are indeed higher than expected (was thinking 850mb/s would be the max) as far as the 4k, I have no ideas why, however I don't really deal with DB's so shouldn't be an issue...

Was just about to replace these guys for the Vertex 3 MaxIops, the price is actually cheaper for the Vertex 3 and performance is about 10-15% on reads, about 40% on writes and around 100%+ on the 4k's.... however I don't think running a raid 0 with OCZ drives is such a good idea from a reliability stand point

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes 4k is still not optimal. Since the values of my SATA II system is better. I guess SpeedStep and C-states are still active.

Please describe for the other users with this problem (Raid0 6Gb / s and 3Gb / s) exactly what had helped.

After the LPM off your problem was still there.

Did you connect the SSD to another port?Or do you work as recommended by me with ThrottleStop?

Or Hotplug off ?