cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 60GB Slow Write Speed issue

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I bought an Intel 520 60GB SSD yesterday. I have a Maximus IV Gene-Z board. Plugged SSD to my sata3 connection. I am using Sata mode in RAID.I had checked with different benchmark tools. AS SSD Seq Read Speed 450MB/s which is normal i guess but my Seq Write Speed is 90MB/s which is much lower. Also i had tried to connect to Sata2 connection and Seq Read Speed down to 260MB/s but Seq Write Speed still 90MB/s.

Intel Toolbox installed and all seems normal. Firmware is 400i. There is nothing on the SSD, my system is on 2xSata2 Caviar black @ RAID 0 128K Stripe mode. Is this problem related with the Sata RAID mode? Cause i did not check with AHCI mode. Or the SSD is not working correctly?

Anyone have a opinion about this issue?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

mmokk
Contributor

that's the correct performance for that drive when dealing with incompressible data.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the reply mistermokkori,

Could you also check if these scores are normal? Cause it seems not normal to me?

the scores look about right. what scores are you expecting to see?

sandfarce-powered drives like the 520 will show lower than advertised write speeds when run with benchmarks like as-ssd and crystaldiskmark that use incompressible data. the lower capacity drives - especially the 60gb versions - are hit hard by this.

if you want a faster 520, buy the 120gb or 240gb version. if you want to see benchmark numbers that match the drive's advertised speeds, run a different benchmark that doesn't use incompressible data. if you want a drive that performs the same regardless of the compressibility of the data, buy a different drive that isn't powered by sandforce.

otherwise, stop benchmarking the drive to death and just use it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Also i want to use this SSD for Intel Smart Response to accelerate my RAID 0 disks. When Smart Response turned off, my RAID Read 240 and Write 190 MB/S but when turned on, Read down to 110 MB/s and write to 90 MB/s. So where am i doing wrong for Smart Response?