cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 SSD - MacBook Pro late 2008

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I have buy a new Intel 520 SSD for my Macbook (late 2008). I've read that the 6Gbit SATA 3 speed of the SSD would be scaled down to SATA 2 speed because my Macbook doesn't support SATA 3. But my system currently operates at just SATA 1 speeds (only 1.5 Gbit are negotiated).

My MacBook does not recognize the SSD when I installed it. Is there a new firmware for the Intel 520?

Sorry for my bad english!
4 REPLIES 4

UHans
Contributor

The short version answer is: It's a known issue, currently without a fix and don't expect one to appear.

The longer version answer is:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello apfel92, on this case it is not recommended to use an Solid State Drive with an older SATA controller since you might experience hardware compatibility issues or a very slow performance from the Solid State Drive, the reason for this is that the SATA controller was not designed to work with this type of fast hard disk drives and it is possible that it will not recognize properly the adapter.

This specific family of Solid State Drives does not have a new firmware available.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

where do u ask these questions?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I had the same problem, this fixed it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)