cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 SSD can't set password

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

According to the product brief:

"The new Intel SSD 520 Series offers the best security features of any Intel® Solid-State Drive to date and comes pre-configured with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 256 bit encryption capabilities. In the event of theft or loss of your computer, you have the peace of mind that your personal data is secured by an advanced encryption technology."

I have used this feature with an Intel SSD 320 in my ThinkPad W520 laptop. I was able to set a user and master password.

However, when I put my new Intel SSD 520 (SSDSC2CW480A3) into the same laptop, I'm unable to set a user and/or master password.

Help?

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel support couldn't help but I got the answer here it may work for you too!

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=104549 http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=104549

regards...................................

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, this worked for me too. Change BIOS SATA mode to compatibility, save, reboot, enter BIOS, and now password on SSD can be set. Save, reboot, enter BIOS, and change back to AHCI mode.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

THanks for the tip. I was able to set the HD password by switching to compatibility mode, then back to AHCI.

HOwever, I'm seeing another odd behavior on my Lenovo x220. It will only accept my password on a cold start--when I reboot, it always give me the "wrong password" error.

I can live with this for now, but would appreciate it if someone from intel is looking into it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, I've seen this too on a Lenovo W520. I thought it wasn't even supposed to ask for a password on warm reboot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Only get asked for password on cold start here Thinkpad X61, on reboot no password needed.

M have you tried leaving the bios in compatibility mode and rebooting to see if it asks for your password.