cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 SSD for sale? When?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A quick web search turns up a number of online vendors with the Intel 520 SSD listed as in stock. These listings actually started showing up early this week. But I have not seen a post from anyone who actually has an Intel 520 in hand.

Are the Intel 520 SSDs available to buy yet? If not, what is the ETA? Are the stores lying about having them in stock, or are they truly in stock but embargoed by Intel until some later date?

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There is one big differentiator…..it's a lot more expensive than alternative drives with the same controller but faster nand. Sorry Intel to hit below the belt. Think of this like a call to arms.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How do you know what the 520 price will be? There are only a few online stores currently selling the 520 now (and none of the large online stores have them yet), so I do not think the prices we are seeing now are representative of what the price will be once the 520 is officially announced.

But I will make one prediction about the price. The 520 is unlikely to cost LESS than comparable SF2281-based SSDs from OCZ, Kingston, or Corsair.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Price gouging is always a possibility, but the price premium is quite big on any of the sites I can find the 520. As an example:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/SSDSC2CW120A3K5-Intel-520-Series-120GB-2-5in-SATA-25nm-MLC-9-5mm-Reseller~... £211.06 Intel 520

http://www.lambda-tek.com/VTX3-25SAT3-120G-OCZ-VERTEX-3-120GB-2-5-SSD-SATA-6-G-READ-550-MB-S-WRITE-5... £136.54 Vertex 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It would be nice if Intel would publish the MTBF resulting in a file system corruption event and perhaps compare that to what could be expected with the standard SF firmware. (Not UBER, but an event that results in a file system corruption due to the way the controller manages data).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Correction: Crucial M4's suck too! Wow, sorry guys but we have all been fooled. The truth is SSD technology is a joke. This is the second SSD drive I've had in 2 weeks that has failed. You can't tell me that I was just unlucky. Especially not with thousands of stories just like mine on the internet. Who are all these people who leave reviews on sites that say SSDs are sooooo much faster and they've NEVER had a problem?? Honestly, I think these manufacturers have just paid their marketing departments to go out and write fake reviews and testimonials to try to fool all of us into believing this hype. For anybody out there considering buying an SSD, don't risk it. You WILL regret it. And they're not that much faster anyway. All a bunch of BS if you ask me.