cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 freezes on MacBook Pro/Mac OS X Snow Leopard

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I installed an Intel 520 SSD (240GB) in my MacBook Pro yesterday. After reinstalling the system, I moved my datas.

I encounter freezes! A few seconds freezes/hangs. Quite often actually.

It seems a bit random but it is really annoying! The whole computer is frozen.

I noticed it happens more often when a lots of datas are going in and out. Browsing the web doesn't do much things. Copying a file from a disk image (DMG) to desktop, it freezes… sometimes.

The SSD has the 400i firmware. I installed the drive in the HHD bay. Negotiated Link Speed is 6 Gigabit. MacBook Pro EFI is up-to-date. Software is up-to-date.

I haven't activated the "Trim Enabler" software (Mac OS X doesn't manage for 3rd party drives).

I cannot run the SSD Toolbox from my Mac. I'll try to install Windows and see if it hangs up.

Have you heard about these problems? What can I do? I don't want to keep a drive behaving like this!

Thanks for your help,

36 REPLIES 36

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Mathias, Do you have an Early-2011 Macbook Pro 15"?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the 13", primo 2011, so i believe it is the same controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I found the issue. I had a corrupted Time Machine USB disk and when the backups would start it would lock everything up. As soon as I removed the bad USB drive everything went back to normal. Hasn't locked up since!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have 15" early 2011 as well. Actually, I have tried to put a drive into another laptop of the same model with a clean OS install -- same problems, so it's clearly reproducible.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

These freezes are not Mac specific. I encounter the same thing in Windows 7 on a Lenovo W520 ThinkPad. The hard drive light comes on and stays on. The system is completely unresponsive and I have to hard reboot.