cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 performance drop with old data

NMuch1
New Contributor

Hello,

I recently ran HD Tach on my 520 60 GB ssd, as I have issues regarding performance with a ssd from another manufacturer.

Here is the result:

The microcode is up to date, 400i, intel ssd optimisation done before the test, system is optimised (system tuner).

The ssd is my system drive and the windows installation is about 1 year old, and it has about 10GB of free space.

Now I don't think this is the result I should be expecting from the ssd as it is advertised with 550 MB/s Sequential Read and 475 MB/s Sequential Write. Now I suspect that the "middle and end part" is probably more recent data and the rest is my windows installation. I could be wrong of course.

Any explanation/reaction ?

Regards, and hopefully there is a fix.

7 REPLIES 7

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello HalloMal,

This tool was designed to run on Windows* 2000 and/or XP, the later version of this application (3.0.4.0) is not fully compatible with the other later versions of Windows*, and needs to be run in Windows* XP SP2 or SP3 compatibility mode. We would like to know if you ran it on this compatibility mode for accurate results. What operating system are you currently using? Please bear in mind that HD Tach has reached end-of-life on December 5, 2011 and is no longer supported, and for this reason we would like to suggest IOmeter to your tests on the SSD. Please access link below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iometer/ Iometer | SourceForge.net

Here is how you should do to get accurate test results.

NMuch1
New Contributor

HD Tach was run in compatibility mode (otherwise it wouldn't start), windows seven 64 bits. Regarding IO Meter, from my understating it uses the free available space to test the SSD, so it writes a new file and then uses it to test the performance, which is not my issue as new files are fast. (the 100% read performance is above 500 MB/s, with the settings you recommended)

Now I did the test with HD Tune which shows the same tendency as HD Tach:

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello HalloMal,

In this case we will investigate and will advise as soon as investigation is done. Please bear in mind that this investigation may take a while. If you have any additional information you would like to add please let us know.

NMuch1
New Contributor

Thank you,

well, my motherboard is a Gigabyte x79-UP4 and the CPU is an I7 4930k, but I doubt that this is helpful.