cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Intel 530 SSD S.M.A.R.T issue

Hello,

I have strange issue with my brand new 2.5" Intel 530 SSD 120GB. Every time I start it, in SMART Self-test log appears new test with status:

"Offline - Interrupted (host reset) - Remaining 10%".

If I run the test manually it completes with no errors. And that's really every time. Also SMART info says:

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status: (0x05) Offline data collection activitwas aborted by an interrupting command from host.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.

I updated the SSD firmware to latest DC32. Device Model is: INTEL SSDSC2BW120A4. Also tested on different machines and still not found a solution.

Does somebody else has this problem and is there any fix for it?

22 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello vGuides, I am sorry for your issue.

Have you tried running the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18455 Intel® SSD Toolbox instead?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi joe_intel,

yes I tried running SSD Toolbox but there was no info for SMART Tests, only for SMART Attributes. It's a very strange behavior according to me. Hope somebody can help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

And what happens if you run the Quick/Full Diagnostic Scan?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Short test was successfully completed withour errors. I haven.t tries the extended test already. A friend of mine also reported absolutely the same behavior with the same model SSD. That's stange. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

A full diagnostic scan will indicate if the drive is good or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I haven't noticed any problems with the drive till now. Only the auto-generated interrupted self-tests. I will run the full test too and write back but I think it's not normal always to auto-generate these self-test on every start and get interrupt them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

May the auto-generated interrupted offline self-tests appear because my chipset does not support SATA 3 - it's SATA 2?

Here's some SMART Self-test log entries:

Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error

# 1 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 10 -

# 2 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 9 -

# 3 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 9 -

# 4 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 9 -

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

What is the tool you are using to read the logs and run the self-tests?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I'm using the last version of smartmontools (6.2) under Linux OS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

As I promise earlier, I also ran Full Diagnostic Test using Intel SSD Toolbox and it completed successfully. Do you have an idea what is generating these interrupted offline self-tests?

Test # 5 and # 21 were run by me by hand and that's why they are "Completed without error". But all the others are auto-generated and not normal according to me.

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error

# 1 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 10 -

# 2 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 9 -

# 3 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 9 -

# 4 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 9 -

# 5 Offline Completed without error 00% 7 -

# 6 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 7 -

# 7 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 6 -

# 8 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 6 -

# 9 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 6 -

# 10 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 6 -

# 11 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 5 -

# 12 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 13 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 14 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 15 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 16 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 17 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 18 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 19 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 20 Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10% 4 -

# 21 Offline Completed without error 00% 3 -

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

We are taking a look into this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My 240Gb 530 has the same issue. After each "power off/power on" cycle SMART appends self-test log with new line:

Offline Interrupted (host reset) 10%

Manual Short/Extended tests have "Completed without error" status.

Device Model: INTEL SSDSC2BW240A4

Firmware Version: DC32

ATA Version is: 8

ATA Standard is: ACS-2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

just try to get your receipt and go back to the store where you buy it and tell them it has a defect issue and try to ask the SHOP WARRANTY for replacement problem is done!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi joe_intel,

is there some new info about this? As I can see there are other people with the same problem...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

This is still under investigation. I will update the thread when new information becomes available.

Thank you for your patience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi all,

The "interrupted" entries you are seeing in the S.M.A.R.T. log do not indicate a problem with the drive. Each time the drive is reset, the drive firmware starts an automated self-test. This self-test is designed to run to completion, or until the system needs to access drive. If the system needs to access the drive while the test is running, the test is interrupted and an entry is placed into the log.

You can expect to see these entries when your system boots (ex. after a shutdown from the OS) or when

your system comes out of the sleep state. You should not see these entries on a Restart from the OS.

The 530 is the only Intel SSD model that currently implements this type of self-test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi ken-intel,

thanks for the provided information. Is this an experimental implementation of this self-test in 530 Series or it will be implemented in the future in all new drives?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi vGuides,

I don't have visibility into the firmware implementation plans.

It hasn't appeared on drives that have been released after the 530 so it doesn't appear to be part of our future plans.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi ken-intel,

do you have some information if there will be firmware update for 530 series fixing it or it will be this way? Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos