cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 530 mSATA 240GB SSD running too hot

NNiko5
New Contributor

Hello, I've just installed an intel 530 240gb mSATA SSD in my Lenovo Y580 laptop. It runs great but then I've noticed the temperatures get too high. It goes from 44 idle to 66 degrees (even higher) under load. It even boots with a 54 degrees temperature. My question is ... is this normal? As I've read countless times that HDD's temperatures tend to be higher than SSD's an not the other way around. Is the SSD faulty or the sensors are not picking up the right temperature? Maybe something is heating it up, but even my CPU temps are not that high...

Thank you in advance.

I've tested the temps with AIDA64 and CrystalDiskinfo and the results are pretty much the same.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nikola32,

We understand you are concerned about the temperature of your SSD, it is important to make sure the system has a very good ventilation system (On desktops) and sometimes also even laptops with some external laptop cooling solution.As for the SSD, it is normal, as you can check in this http://ark.intel.com/products/75333/Intel-SSD-530-Series-240GB-PCIe-Module-mSATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC link the temperature for the SSD is around 0°C to 70°C, so for us this is a normal temperature.Please let us know if you have any other question about it.NC

MMich35
New Contributor

I creating / indexing a big database 300gb and the ssd (535 sata here 480gb) is tortured for 20 days.

I stop the database creation when the ssd is "hot" at 49c. You suggest to raise the upper limit to 60c or something safer to 55c? Mind you, the ssd will be tortured for several days, 24/7.

i choose Intel for reliability, i want to keep it that way.

Thank you!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nikola32,

The SSD should normally operate at even 70°C, if the drive is going to be 24/7 in a workload and the temperature is not above 70°C then it should be fine. Problem will be if the temperature goes higher than that for a long period of time, but what we recommend is to keep the system in a nice and cool environment so it does not overheat and compromise the performance. Let us know if you need further assistance.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nikola32,

We are following up and we would like to know if you require any further assistance.We will be waiting for your response.NC