I recently got my first SSD, an Intel 535 120 GB. I tested it initially with AS SSD Benchmark and was getting sequential read of 250 MB/s, and write of 190. This in itself was a problem for me, because the advertised speeds were 500 MB/s for both read and write, which should completely saturate the bandwidth of the SATA II that I'm using. Anyways, I ran the benchmark again this morning and now I'm only getting 56 MB/s for write. Copying large files to the hard drive is unbearably slow. Actually, it's slower than the old 7200 RPM hard drive that it replaced.
8 GB DDR3
Intel 535 120 GB
WIndows 7 x64
As we understand, you are getting low performance results for your new SSD. Please check the following regarding this issue:
- The advertised performance of the drive is measured using SATA 6 Gb/s, the SSD is backwards compatible, however, we cannot guarantee performance using older SATA standards. Please take into consideration that the Intel® SSD 535 Series is designed to take advantage of current technologies for performance and power consumption.
Here are some recommendations that may help in this situation:
- Please https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Download Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox and install the application. Use the toolbox to update the SSD firmware and then run the Intel® SSD Optimizer.
- Try using a new cable and/or a different SATA port in the motherboard.
- Contact the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support and obtain the latest BIOS Update for your PC.
- Check with the Motherboard manufacturer if they have any driver updates for your Storage controller, or chipset.
My PC is a fresh build. Previous to posting here, I updated my motherboard BIOS, optimized with Drive Toolbox, checked for a firmware update, tried a SATA cable that came with my motherboard and Installed up to date chipset drivers. Also, I have AHCI enabled. I think it's worth mentioning that updating the AMD SATA controller drivers from the default Windows drivers actually gave slower speeds and caused to the speed results to be unstable during testing. I've tested again a few times over the course of the day, and speeds have been steady at 250 MB/s read, and 190MB/s write. I think maybe something running in the background during testing gave me artificially slow write speeds. All in all, I'm happy enough with the speeds. especially since 250 MB/s comes close enough to saturating SATA II bandwidth, and I generally dont write large files.