cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 540s 480Gb Erased when Encrypted/Decrypted

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I bought several Intel 540s 480Gb drives.

I have a severe problem concerning encryption and decryption.

Issue:

BIOS -> Security -> Password -> HDD Password -> Set User and Master Password -> Device is totally erased

BIOS -> Security -> Password -> HDD Password -> Clear User and Master Password -> Device is totally erased

Intel 540s Firmware: LSF036C

Laptop: Lenovo T460 with latest BIOS

Intel SSD Toolbox says that the drive has latest firmware.

Other SSD drives works without problem. Data is present even when HDD password is changed.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello durhur,

The Intel® SSD 540s Series is a self-encrypting drive (SED), meaning your data is always encrypted via AES 256-bit Encryption. When you apply a master password through your BIOS, you're simply securing the drive's encryption key. After which your BIOS will know to ask for the "ATA password" in order to be allowed access.Regardless, or perhaps specially because of this, what you are reporting is highly unusual.In order to better assist you we would like to have the following information:- What is the model number of your SSD? (Usually begins with SSDS...)- Does this happen with all of the 540s Series you purchased, or only one or some?- On the main screen of the Intel® SSD Toolbox there is an "export" option at the bottom right. Please attach the report generated to your response by switching to the "advanced editor" view (top right when replying).We look forward to hearing back from you.Best regards,Carlos A.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

The model number is SSDSC2KW480H6.

This happens with 4 drives (All Intel 540s 480G) that I bought in February 2017.

Export files attached.

Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello durhur,

Thank you for this information. We're looking into your issue and will update your thread as soon as we have any news.Best regards,Carlos A.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello durhur,

We understand that our support department will continue handling this situation directly with you.Please check your private messages for more details.Best regards,Carlos A.