cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 540s Default Master Password

CHarr8
New Contributor

What is the Intel 540s default master password? Is it NULL? nothing or a specific password?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello chrisharris,

Thank you for your question.Our solid state drives ship without a password set from factory.Unless a Master Password was manually set, it will be blank by default.Best regards,Carlos A.

CHarr8
New Contributor

if a user password is set but the master password is left blank, can access to the drive still be possible via some way the through the master password? i.e inputting NULL or simply pressing enter?

if hdparm shows =65534 is that always an indication that the master password is default (in this case blank)?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

chrisharris,

Yes, an user password may be overrun by the master password as long as the security level is set to "high" and not "maximum". But I do believe that the master password would have had to be set before hand for this to work.- http://www.t13.org/documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2006/e05179r4-ACS-SecurityClarifications.pdf ATA Security feature Set Clarifications: Page 3, Section 1.1.3 Master Password Capability.While we don't support third party tools, I can tell you that the Master Password Revision is not as important as what comes next. In the lines after the revision code, it will tell you whether the master password is supported, if it's enabled (has been set or not), and if the drive is locked or frozen.Best regards,Carlos A.

CHarr8
New Contributor

1. So is the revision code a reliable way of telling whether the master password is set to default or not?

2. Is there a non third party way to find out if the master password has been revised?

3. Can the 540s be accessed if the user password is enabled and the master password is left unchanged from default which according to you is left blank?

4. there is nothing after the revision code that shows whether or not the master password has been revised that I can see. Can you be more specific?