cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 540s Trim support

schoi11
New Contributor

Hi, I want to know how Intel 540s SATA ssd (120GB) support TRIM command.

When TRIM command is sent from OS does SSD implement TRIM as soon as possible? or at idle time?

I saw that in nvme SSD, TRIM is implemented before GC command but I want to know if SATA 3.1 version Intel 540s also same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello ithdli,

Thanks for posting in our forum, we understand you have some questions about TRIM and we'll be more than glad to explain to you.When the TRIM command is sent from the operating system it will try to find the "best moment" to perform the task, meaning that it will run it when the SSD is being less used or idle.This does not mean that you cannot use the SSD if it is in the process, you can use and the function will be running in the background, just like the garbage collection. These two (TRIM and Garbage collection) go together somehow.Please let us know if you have any other question.Regards,Nestor C

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi ithdli,

You are very welcome, in a case of further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us back.Regards,Nestor C

Hi Nestor C.

I got a new question with TRIM implementation.

I issued TRIM from application level (totally about 26GB) using 'fallocate( , FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE ,)' at ext4 file system with discard option on.

As a result SSD has frozen for over 40 minutes as soon as I called 'fallocate' function.

If TRIM works in background policy like GC it is hard to understand why this situation happens.

I wonder if you have any idea with this situation.

In short I want to know the reason why SSD froze as soon as I gave TRIM command although it works in background.

Always thank you for your answer.

Regards,

Soyee Choi

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello ithdli,

First of all, we would like to let you know that this does not seem to be an issue with the SSD but more like a Linux* setup situation.Do you have the latest firmware installed already? Here is the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26491/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool?product=80097 Intel® Firmware Update Tool, in case you need to update it.We also https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/337 found this link that may help you with the setup.NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.Regards,Nestor C

Hi Nestor C,

I thought it was a SSD problem but I'm surprised with that it is a Linux setting overhead.

I'm not sure if I had latest firmware update but I'll check it !

Thanks for your answer!

Regards,

Soyee Choi

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello ithdli,

We're always glad to be of assistance. If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.Best regards,Carlos A.