Intel 600p SSD problem with TRIM

AKoto2
New Contributor

Hello,

Available:

ASUS_PRIME_Z270_P

M. 2 x 4 PCI-Express 3.0 Intel SSD 128 Gb SSDPEKKW128G7X1 600p

Windows 7 SP1 + hotfix for NVMe

Driver: Standard controller NVM Express (stornvme.sys)

Question.

Can not understand, running TRIM or not. When you restart, after a short wait, TrimCheck displays the following:

" First 16 bytes: AE 41 07 45 6C 5F 27 38 EC 17 A0 84 21 52 38 9F...

Data is neither unchanged nor empty.

Possible cause: another program saved data to disk,

overwriting the sector containing our test data.

CONCLUSION: INDETERMINATE.

Re-run this program and wait less before verifying / try to

minimize writes to drive C:."

Codes in the "First 16 bytes:" are constantly the same, instead of 00. What's the problem?

Thankful in advance.

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Wildcat55,

We were able to setup a system with the SSD 600p (Windows* 7 and Windows® 10); However, on Windows* 7 the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox does not allow to use the features on this particular SSD, only Windows® 10 can.

We are attaching a picture of what we have under Windows* 7:

This is a limitation of the operating system due to not have the native NVMe* drivers, in this case, the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox will not help us at all.

About your situation, if the drive does not experience any other issues, besides the trim, we would like to get this escalated with engineering for further explanation.

We'll keep you posted over here.

Regards,

Nestor C

AKoto2
New Contributor

Hello,

" if the drive does not experience any other issues, besides the trim..."

Yes, it is possible to tell that the drive works and it is fine, only the speed of record is much lower than Specifications (Sequential Write (up to) 450 MB/s). A test picture in a bottom.

I think it occurs because the operating system doesn't service this drive in respect of optimization. Because of absence of the nonnative OS driver sends only standard commands (reading - record).

In this regard such questions:

- Information of SMART of this SSD shall be displayed in BIOS.(from a screenshot it is possible to see that I have only HDD)?

- The release of the normal driver for Windows 7 is expected?

I hope for further support.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Wildcat55,

First of all, we'd like to let you know that we don't think or expect Microsoft* will include the NVMe* drivers on Windows* 7, Intel does not have plans to release a driver as well since the drive uses the native NVMe* driver included in each operating system.About the performance of your SSD, this is measured by Intel using http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html IOMeter* with Queue Depth 32. You can take a look at http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/intel_ssd_750_series_evaluation_guide_332075... this document that explains how to setup the program and measure your SSD. You can check on page 10.Some BIOS may not display the NVMe* SSDs at all, even though they work fine, I believe you can check that with the manufacturer of the board, in your case Asus*.Regards,Nestor C

AKoto2
New Contributor

Hello,

Having read this message("First of all, we'd like to let you know that we don't think or expect Microsoft* will include the NVMe* drivers on Windows* 7, Intel does not have plans to release a driver as well since the drive uses the native NVMe* driver included in each operating system."), you as an official predtavitel of "great" corporation Intel shift my problems with your product to Bill Gates, it is a pity...

By the way, IOMeter doesn't define this drive.

Earlier always used only Intel production.

To return this "toy" to shop already late, works though as well as it is fine.

Only now I will advise all users to buy production of Samsung, they don't read difficulty to release drivers for the drives.

Thanks for your help, it is always ready to a dialog.

IIanM
New Contributor II

Hello all,

Actually your Trim check result is showing that Trim is working properly. Unlike the traditional Trim in ATA or SCSI command set, where the result is supposed to be zero after running Trim, for NVMe SSDs, it is supposed to be random data. For more information, take a look at the NVMe protocol.

Trim checker is designed for SATA/SAS SSDs, not for NVMe drives. Trim should and will always work on NVMe drives.