AKoto2
Beginner

Intel 600p SSD problem with TRIM

Hello,

Available:

ASUS_PRIME_Z270_P

M. 2 x 4 PCI-Express 3.0 Intel SSD 128 Gb SSDPEKKW128G7X1 600p

Windows 7 SP1 + hotfix for NVMe

Driver: Standard controller NVM Express (stornvme.sys)

Question.

Can not understand, running TRIM or not. When you restart, after a short wait, TrimCheck displays the following:

" First 16 bytes: AE 41 07 45 6C 5F 27 38 EC 17 A0 84 21 52 38 9F...

Data is neither unchanged nor empty.

Possible cause: another program saved data to disk,

overwriting the sector containing our test data.

CONCLUSION: INDETERMINATE.

Re-run this program and wait less before verifying / try to

minimize writes to drive C:."

Codes in the "First 16 bytes:" are constantly the same, instead of 00. What's the problem?

Thankful in advance.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Wildcat55,

We'd like to know first where did you get the message for the TrimCheck?

Is this disk your boot drive or storage drive?

Are you using the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox?

Besides this, is the SSD having an issue?

We'll wait for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

We'd like to know first where did you get the message for the TrimCheck?

TrimCheck is a utility for check of operability of the TRIM function. https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

Is this disk your boot drive or storage drive?

It is a boot drive.

Are you using the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox?

Yes, I use. Only she doesn't decide what questions concerning this drive.

Besides this, is the SSD having an issue?

Other problems aren't revealed yet.

Long didn't respond because of time difference, thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Wildcat55,

Thanks for the information provided.

We will be looking at this and we will get back to you after some research.

Regards,

Nestor C
idata
Community Manager

Hello Wildcat55,

In the meantime, is there any way you can send us the SMART log from Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox?

You need to click on the export button and then save the *.csv file here. (Make sure to use the advanced editor when attaching the file).

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

Yes of course, only the Intel ® Solid State Drive Toolbox shows nothing about this drive.

No serial number, these two buttons are not active "info on the drive" and "detailed information about SMART settings".

idata
Community Manager

Hi Wildcat55,

It is very interesting that the log shows nothing about the SSD you use to boot the computer.

Do you think you can provide a screenshot of the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox where it shows the main screen after you first open it?

It is strange that even the SSD is the one with the operating system, it does not show any information available.

How did you install Windows* 7 on this drive?

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

Initially operating system was installed on HDD.

After connection of SSD on the computer, in the Device manager it was displayed as the unknown device.

1. Installed hotfix to add native driver support in NVM Express in Windows 7 https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/2990941/update-to-add-native-driver-support-in-nvm-express-... .

2. Installed drivers Intel® RST https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26361/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver... .

After these actions the drive appeared in the Device manager and the Explorer.

System on the SSD installed utility "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD".

Similarly, SMART information to it in BIOS too is missing.

I hope for your help, screenshots in attachment.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Wildcat55,

Based on the actions taken from you to have this SSD as a bootable drive, it is clearly that the process taken is not the one recommended by Intel.

We'd like you to please follow any of the two methods http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/Intel_6_Series_PCIeNVMe_... in this document, as Intel recommends to install Windows* operating system from scratch.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

So you want to say, that if I install the system on this drive from scratch (from installation distribution DVD or USB), then everything will be fine?

Well, I have a Windows 7 ISO created using the 2nd method with the use of Intel's NUC Utility:

(https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility?product=89190 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility?product=89190).

If that's the case, I'll have to take the time to experiment and let you know the results.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Wildcat55,

That's correct, we do suggest to customers run the installation that way (Method 1 or 2), since that is the only way we found that you can use the NVMe* drive + Windows* 7.

Based on experience, we can tell you it does work fine, so please let us know the outcome from your side.

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

Zero result!

Drivers were set the same what were and from where they could undertake others, except as Microsoft Corporation.I didn't think of it before to spend time for an experiment.

What difference as I want to use this drive. As boot drive or data store. The operating system shall define normally it, and it depends on device driver which is an intermediary between OS and the device, you shall understand it.

I will be very grateful if you provide a screenshot of Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox on Windows 7, where exactly this drive is defined.

Thanks for support, I hope for your help.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Wildcat55,

We will setup one of our systems here and we will let you know.

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Thanks, I will wait.

AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

There are any results?

idata
Community Manager

Hello Wildcat55,

We were able to setup a system with the SSD 600p (Windows* 7 and Windows® 10); However, on Windows* 7 the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox does not allow to use the features on this particular SSD, only Windows® 10 can.

We are attaching a picture of what we have under Windows* 7:

This is a limitation of the operating system due to not have the native NVMe* drivers, in this case, the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox will not help us at all.

About your situation, if the drive does not experience any other issues, besides the trim, we would like to get this escalated with engineering for further explanation.

We'll keep you posted over here.

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

" if the drive does not experience any other issues, besides the trim..."

Yes, it is possible to tell that the drive works and it is fine, only the speed of record is much lower than Specifications (Sequential Write (up to) 450 MB/s). A test picture in a bottom.

I think it occurs because the operating system doesn't service this drive in respect of optimization. Because of absence of the nonnative OS driver sends only standard commands (reading - record).

In this regard such questions:

- Information of SMART of this SSD shall be displayed in BIOS.(from a screenshot it is possible to see that I have only HDD)?

- The release of the normal driver for Windows 7 is expected?

I hope for further support.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Wildcat55,

First of all, we'd like to let you know that we don't think or expect Microsoft* will include the NVMe* drivers on Windows* 7, Intel does not have plans to release a driver as well since the drive uses the native NVMe* driver included in each operating system.

About the performance of your SSD, this is measured by Intel using http://www.iometer.org/doc/downloads.html IOMeter* with Queue Depth 32. You can take a look at http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/intel_ssd_750_series_evaluation_guide_332075... this document that explains how to setup the program and measure your SSD. You can check on page 10.

Some BIOS may not display the NVMe* SSDs at all, even though they work fine, I believe you can check that with the manufacturer of the board, in your case Asus*.

Regards,

Nestor C
AKoto2
Beginner

Hello,

Having read this message("First of all, we'd like to let you know that we don't think or expect Microsoft* will include the NVMe* drivers on Windows* 7, Intel does not have plans to release a driver as well since the drive uses the native NVMe* driver included in each operating system."), you as an official predtavitel of "great" corporation Intel shift my problems with your product to Bill Gates, it is a pity...

By the way, IOMeter doesn't define this drive.

Earlier always used only Intel production.

To return this "toy" to shop already late, works though as well as it is fine.

Only now I will advise all users to buy production of Samsung, they don't read difficulty to release drivers for the drives.

Thanks for your help, it is always ready to a dialog.

IIanM
Novice

Hello all,

Actually your Trim check result is showing that Trim is working properly. Unlike the traditional Trim in ATA or SCSI command set, where the result is supposed to be zero after running Trim, for NVMe SSDs, it is supposed to be random data. For more information, take a look at the NVMe protocol.

Trim checker is designed for SATA/SAS SSDs, not for NVMe drives. Trim should and will always work on NVMe drives.