cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 600p data corruption?

CDrum
New Contributor

I have had nothing but trouble since I bought a G752vm laptop running one Intel 600p. BIOS, drivers etc up to date. The drive is encrypted with Veracrypt. I don't know if it's the RAM or the SSD defective, or maybe a TRIM bug maybe relating to the encryption.

At first, the laptop had an issue where resuming from sleep would crash/reboot the system (not bug check, just random instant reboot...). I had originally attributed data corruption to this - and the occurrence was certainly lower after fixing that problem..

However, I'm still having random corruption. I don't have BSoDs, and I just mostly leave the thing in sleep mode.

Every time I do a repair option on Titanfall 2, the game redownloads anywhere from 30mb to 5.7gb. Since it presumably checks the hash of the game files, something's randomly corrupting. With godawful grossly overpriced ultra slow Frontier dsl fresh out of the year 2002, that means I have to wait half a day after doing a repair on the game.

Additionally, Firefox was recently corrupted. I cleared the profiles in local/roaming, but ultimately, only completely reinstalling Firefox would let me use it without FF instantly crashing. This is basically the same behavior exhibited from when resuming caused crashes (except it was different programs).

I don't think the system RAM is bad, the cpu is not defective. I'm running memtest again over night.

But in my miserable experience with Windows spouting memory errors on old machines, memtest is entirely useless to the point you arseholes should be putting ECC support in every single cpu (actually it's already there, I hear you use the same die for every cpu!) and motherboard chipset, ESPECIALLY LAPTOPS WITHOUT THE BULLSH!T $1000 PREMIUM ON YOUR WORKSTATION MOBILE XEONS. No excuses, no exceptions, it doesn't cost much more, fixes single bit errors, logs worse errors, and makes troubleshooting memory problems trivial and renders memtest largely if not completely obsolete.

The only thing good I can even think of is "hey at least my desktop got a xeon+ecc for nearly the same price as an equivalent i5". Too f@cking bad the starting point of ECC support in Intel laptops is twice the price of a gaming-grade laptop......without the gaming-grade gpu. ($2500-3000 for an awful last gen workstation gpu)

3 REPLIES 3

CDrum
New Contributor

After tinkering around, I suspect I can rule out the ssd - more often than not a reboot fixes issues. However it hasn't always fixed things. Weird stuff. Memory or mobo/bios looks likely issue...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Dalamar,

Thank you for you post.We understand you have already ruled out the Intel® SSD 600p Series as the culprit for your system crash and reboot problem. With that being said, there's not much else left for us to recommend, except maybe for you to post to our /community/tech/processors Processors, or /community/tech/chipsets Chipset forums.Do keep in mind that we only manufacture computer parts, not workstation systems as a whole. You may also want to speak to your computer manufacturer for more complete support.As an additional suggestion, you may want to download our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26387/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® SSD Toolbox, if you haven't already.Again, thank you for your feedback. Please let us know if you have any more questions, or require further support.Best regards,Carlos A.

CDrum
New Contributor

Last night I uninstalled Intel MEI and Intel Serial IO drivers, and since then, the weirdness seems to have stopped. Turned driver verifier on after that just for good measure, with no issues. We'll see.

I swear it's always Intel drivers causing headaches...especially where laptops are concerned. And the Intel wifi still causes reboot instead of resume during sleep on battery if it's allowed to be turned off to save power.