cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 600p firmware update for linux?

GMill7
New Contributor

Hi

Any way to find out if there will be a fix for the issue below with the 600P?

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1402533 https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1402533

I waited to May but the recent firmware update didn't include the 600P; stayed at v109C

Starting to think I should be asking for a refund

Geoffrey

34 REPLIES 34

GMill7
New Contributor

Hi Carlos

I am using a Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F with Supermicro ECC 64Gb RAM running VMWare ESXi 6.0. This has a multiple HDDs attached: Intel NVMe 60P 512Gb, Crucial MX300 SSD, Western Digital Red 1Tb SATA HDD.

I am running Centos 6 & 7 x64 OS VMs. In February I moved the Centos 7 x64 VMs onto the Intel 600P and they ran very well! But within 7 days this started corrupting them so they have been moved back to the Crucial SSD HDD and they are all running fine now.

Interestingly the sole Windows VM is running OK on the Intel 600P.

Note that ESXi is booting from the Intel 600P and runs well. I checked the 600P firmware and I have version 109C.

I created a new Centos 7 x64 VM yesterday as a test. I installed the OS OK and then launched straight into installing the latest updates. When I rebooted after the updates finished installing it failed with a corrupt root filesystem... FWIW I also installed Centos plus Docker in February and this died the same way.. this was the first time this issue hit me so I thought it was something to do with Docker but now I know otherwise. The VMs are configured with VMware paravirtual or LSI controller, makes no difference

So yes, I do appreciate the Intel 600P is not a enterprise SSD and there are no specific Linux drivers, lt alone for ESXi so therefore my environment is a major distraction.

But the core issue as listed in the original Redhat bugzilla case definitely exists. And there are reports from other users in this forum who just run Linux

And at the end of the day I believe that the 600P is a hard drive and should be able to run Windows or Linux or ESXi (or other) operating systems.

hmm, I wonder what would happen if I installed a Windows OS and then installed VMWare Workstation and ran up a Centos VM?

Thank you for persisting with this,

Geoffrey

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Geoffrey.Mills,

Thank your for all your environment details. Even in a virtual machine it's likely that the issue may occur, but if you have the time and will to give it a test and let us know how it goes, we sure would appreciate the additional data.As soon as we have any updates, hopefully sometime this week, we'll pass them on to you.Best regards,Carlos A.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello giniek_06,

It's important to make sure that your Linux distribution supports NVMe boot natively, otherwise you may need to make some changes before the installer will recognize the drive.

While we don't support Linux on this drive just yet, we are working on it.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Geoffrey.Mills,

As you already know, we are in the process of validating a solution in the Firmware that we believe will resolve this issue.Current plan is for this update to be available in an upcoming Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® FUT release. While the release date is still to be determined, we will update you as soon it becomes available.Best regards,Carlos A.

GMill7
New Contributor

Excellent news...hopefully in the near future

Thanks for the updates and the support

Regards

Geoffrey