cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 660p 2Tb Nvme help!

AVlad4
New Contributor

Please specify what is the established linear recording rate for this model after using the SLC cache.

For 1Tb model, it is about 100mb.

What is it for 2TB model?

Saw the screenshot that the speed is 245MB

https://pctuning.tyden.cz/hardware/disky-cd-dvd-br/54821?start=9

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello AVlad4, Thank you for your patience. We noticed that you have an open case with our advanced technical support department that is related to the same issue, we will continue to provide you with support on that case. In order to provide the community with the same information provided to you on your original case, we will be posting here the same official response to your question, which is related to the Intel® SSD 660p Series performance: “The Intel® SSD 660p is built using Intel® QLC technology with a large and faster dynamic SLC cache in the forefront to handle drive writes and boost the write performance. The data from the dynamic SLC is transferred to the QLC during drive idle times thereby keeping cache fresh to enhance user write experience. The 660p is architected and designed for common PC usage models such as web browsing, e-mails, productivity tasks – project reports and spreadsheets and limited photo and video edits/storage wherein the workloads are clustered in burst with significant idle times in between. For usage case scenarios outside of the common PC usages and once the drive reaches 75% full, there are chances that the write performance may be below 100 MB/s.” We hope you find this information helpful. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Thank! Really looking forward to

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello AVlad4, Thank you for your reply. • We followed the Evaluation Guide for Intel® SSD 660p Series (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/consumer-ssds/Intel_SSD...) and the results were similar to the ones shared on the previous chart. Please take into consideration that those results were accomplished on a controlled environment and using the recommended benchmark tools as specified in the article, if you experience any difference in performance after following the guide in a similar or the same environment please let us know the results. • Regarding your second questions the usage of any third party adapter in order to connect your M.2 SSDs to a PCI-e is not tested, supported or validated by Intel® and we advise you to contact the OEM of the adapter and your motherboard to check compatibility and hardware support. We hope you find this information helpful. If you have future questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to help you in any way we can. Have a nice day. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

AVlad4
New Contributor

I watched a lot of reviews. And in all of them the steady speed in the region of 75-100mb for the model 500GB and 1TB was determined. And I was hoping that here me would help me to get the same data but about the 2Tb model. It's just because SLC is exhausted after about 1.5-2 minutes of copying. But I do not have a ssd to check it out! And to buy, I wanted to clarify

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello AVlad4, Thank you for your reply. Some information that is available online can be misleading and confusing when it comes to benchmarking an SSD. The Evaluation Guide for Intel® SSD 660p Series (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/consumer-ssds/Intel_SSD...) is an official and reliable source of information. Another option is to check https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149403/intel-ssd-660p-series-2-0tb-m-2-80mm-pci... for performance and reliability information. Please, take into consideration that some traditional benchmarks and tests may involve pre-filling the SSD with data, and immediately followed by further writes to evaluate performance. Although it is a good way to stress the SSD to understand its characteristics, the testing methodology may not reflect the actual use case scenarios. Intel recommends that sufficient idle times be given, to mimic the common PC usages, especially on tests that expect a heavy pre-fill condition. The idle time, will refresh the SLC cache by transferring the data into available QLC media and will ensure a better user experience. We would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

I have the impression that you do not understand what I am asking.

I want to know to what level the write speed drops to disk when the SLC cache is full. And that's it!

Here, for example, another reference to a similar test.

http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/intel-ssd-660p-m-2-nvme-ssd-review-1tb/6/

Cache overflow is pretty quick. And the speed drops to 100mb.s (but there is a lot of such data only for the 1Tb model)

That's what I want to know for the model 2TB! Do you understand?

This is a very important parameter that is not given in the documentation, but it will directly affect the transfer of large amounts of data.