cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 730 SSD Poor Writes

DHerl1
New Contributor

I just got a 240GB 730 a couple days ago and I'm very disappointed with it. It seems like it is "stuck" at SATA II write speeds.

Either that or the drive just performs very poorly.

System:

Asus P8Z77-V

Intel 3770K

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB

Intel 730SSD

WD Black 2TB (data)

System is not overclocked, running Windows 7 64bit. New build, new installation, using most recent drivers from Asus.

See how the write speed never exceeds 3GB/s? (Yes I am using one of the Intel 6GB/s ports on the motherboard)

So I tried different drivers, all sorts of things, re-installed the OS a couple times and this is all I get.

I then image the system, replace the drive with a 2.5 year old OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, restore the image onto it and get this:

Note that all I changed was the drive, used the same cable and everything, restored the image containing the same drivers, no changes were made in the BIOS.

(Obviously it is not my motherboard or BIOS at this point).

A couple months ago I built almost the exact same system for an employee of mine.

Only difference is I got her the non-"K" 3770 CPU and a Intel 530 instead of the 730.

She let me borrow the drive, I imaged her drive as a backup and restore "my" image onto it in my system.

(same system image used in both screenshots above)

I like that drive

So my question is, should my brand new 730 in the top screenshot really perform so poorly or is there a problem?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Dave

14 REPLIES 14

Files attached.

JEdwa7
New Contributor

Your board has an add-on controller. Did you connect your SSD to Port 0/1 of the Intel Z77 chipset. The add-on controllers often have lower write speeds.

DHerl1
New Contributor

Yes, I am using SATA port # 1 for the SSD.

It is an Intel 6GB/s port

The board does indeed have 2 ASmedia 6GB\s ports but as you know those are junk and recommended for data use only.

The WD 2TB and the DVD drive are on 2 of the 4 Intel 3GB\s ports.

In the screenshots above with the OCZ and Intel 530 drives I used the same Intel 6GB\s port and cable, I just switched out the drive.

Dave

DHerl1
New Contributor

The top 2 unused ports are the ASmedia 6GB\s

The 2 grey ports are the Intel 6GB/s ports, you connector you might be able to see is for the Intel 730SSD

The bottom 4 ports are Intel 3GB/s ports, the connector you see is for the WD 2TB platter.

( have not finished the build, thats why all the cables are a mess)

Dave

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Dave_H

We reviewed the last result you sent from IOmeter and noticed you set the transfer size correctly, however, in the last test, you used a Queue depth of 1, this caused low results.

Please run another test, setting the number of Outstanding I/O's to 32 (on the Disk Targets tab). This was set correctly in the first IOmeter tests.