cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 730 SSD Poor Writes

DHerl1
New Contributor

I just got a 240GB 730 a couple days ago and I'm very disappointed with it. It seems like it is "stuck" at SATA II write speeds.

Either that or the drive just performs very poorly.

System:

Asus P8Z77-V

Intel 3770K

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB

Intel 730SSD

WD Black 2TB (data)

System is not overclocked, running Windows 7 64bit. New build, new installation, using most recent drivers from Asus.

See how the write speed never exceeds 3GB/s? (Yes I am using one of the Intel 6GB/s ports on the motherboard)

So I tried different drivers, all sorts of things, re-installed the OS a couple times and this is all I get.

I then image the system, replace the drive with a 2.5 year old OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, restore the image onto it and get this:

Note that all I changed was the drive, used the same cable and everything, restored the image containing the same drivers, no changes were made in the BIOS.

(Obviously it is not my motherboard or BIOS at this point).

A couple months ago I built almost the exact same system for an employee of mine.

Only difference is I got her the non-"K" 3770 CPU and a Intel 530 instead of the 730.

She let me borrow the drive, I imaged her drive as a backup and restore "my" image onto it in my system.

(same system image used in both screenshots above)

I like that drive

So my question is, should my brand new 730 in the top screenshot really perform so poorly or is there a problem?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Dave

14 REPLIES 14

DHerl1
New Contributor

Sorry about that. I hope I got it right this time.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Dave_H,

The last results actually look pretty good.

Please take into consideration that for Random test, we measure IOPS from the target type "ALL".

The Read performance in your test is about 90,000 IOPS, when the advertised specification is 89,000.

For Writes your test shows 73,000 IOPS, and the advertised value is 74,000.

The differences you noticed in the first tests are likely to be due to the type of workload and the settings used by the testing software.

Based on those results, your drive appears to be performing according to the specs. Please let us know if you have any further inquiries about this matter.

DHerl1
New Contributor

Seriously, thats all it can do?

I bought that from Newgg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167190 Intel 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

If you click the tab "specifications" it says:

Max Sequential Write Up to 470 MBpsAlso here at Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch-Internal-Solid-SSDSC2BP240G4R5/dp/B00IF4NGEU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8... http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch-Internal-Solid-SSDSC2BP240G4R5/dp/B00IF4NGEU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8... says: "Sustained Seq Write: Up to 470MB/s2"In fact, everywhere I look shows those same specs?Thats why I bought the drive, for the high sustained read and write values.If either said "up to 300 MB/s" I would have never purchased it, it defeats the purpose of having a SATA III system if the drive can't utilize it.Dave

DHerl1
New Contributor

I think I see whats going on here.

Your 730 drives have different specs between the 240GB and 480GB models. Your website shows the 240GB with much slower 4K write speeds of 270MB/s,

when the 480 says 470MB/s. It also shows a difference in the "endurance writes per day" of 50GB for the 240 and 70GB for the 480.

Clearly there is a performance difference between the 2 drives in the same 730 family.

Either through oversight or deception, all the retail sites are showing the incorrect specs for the 240GB drive.

I would have never bought this drive it it listed the correct specs, I would have gone with the 530 because a high performance drive is more important to me than endurance. (my systems make images every night).

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me Johnathan, I can't blame you for the wrong information.

Dave

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Dave_H

We are really sorry for the confusion. We will notify the error to the the sellers immediately, so they can take further actions about this.