cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 400GB PCIe Wear Leveling Count dropping fast/quickly

jgaul
New Contributor II

Hello!

I have (and LOVE) my Intel 750 400GB PCIe. I use it as my boot OS drive on Win10 64bit for the past 8 or so months, I was very surprised to see that the "estimated life remaining" / wear leveling SMART count has already dropped to 88%. I also noticed that it has quickly dropped from 90% to 88% in the past 3 weeks with no major increase in writes on my end.

I think my write workload is pretty light: aside from win10 VM being on the drive I also left 20GB unformated / free (ie over provisioning)

I have tons of experience and usage of various SSD (most intel), ie several 24 x SSD rackmount servers of all types of intel SSD models (some enterprise, some consumer) so i have a decent feel for how wear level endurance decreases over time, and in fact this 750 pcie has dropped the fastest of any SSD ive ever seen.

According to my calculations (from the SMART data host bytes written) ive only written about 8 TB of data which isnt a ton for 8-10 months of boot drive type workload. CrystalMark Disk Info also shows 7900GB written / 12.8TB read

Can anyone shed some light on this? or maybe my calculations of data written is incorrect?

Thanks!

PS / FYI: i did install / update to the intel supplied nvme drivers as soon as win10 was installed

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello James232323,

We do apologize for all these situations, we understand how frustrating this could be and specially since you need to get in contact with our support team.We will forward all this feedback you have provided and at the same time we suggest to open a ticket over our chat support so they can work on this request, http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_ssd_ww_english_Chat here is the link, the support will be open from 7am to 5pm PST (Monday to Friday)Please let us know.Regards,NC

JLeon17
New Contributor

Ok i had a chat with the live chat. Im not so sure it went too well though. I was told that the person on my case couldn't be located and the live support tech was going to email that department and see if he could take over the case. I said great, and could he please update my case with this info, he said yes, but that has yet to be done (nearly 4 hours ago).

Since i couldn't make a new case (intel web server error), i had to add comments to my old, closed case, i just want to point out in that old case, the LAST reply i got from an Intel rep was 8/8/16, since then i have made 8 posts / replies that have either been ignored, or simply not replied to. (the most recent was a few minutes ago updating that the wear level on the "new" 750 ssd pcie has now fallen to 96).

At this rate this ssd will last me less than 1 year. My hardware cant be to blame as the SMART stats are totally independent of my hardware and those show ONLY 706 GB of writes. It also shows Min erase cycles: 2 Max erase cycles : 134 avg erase cycles: 64.

this drive is warrantied/ rated for 70GB of writes a day for 5 years. Im nowhere near that... This 2nd RMA drive sent to me (sent with the 1st revision firmware btw) is worse than the drive i sent in for RMA...

I told the live support tech (because he seemed to suggest there is no solution), that perhaps some tech at Intel who knows what they are doing should take a new 750 pcie, perform some kind of real writes to the drive for say 5 days (such that the tech can confirm that the Wear Leveling count is working as it should on that specific drive), and then send me that drive as an RMA (even if it gets to me with a Wear level below 100 ) and if that drive still does the same thing, than ill just be stuck with it (and sell it on ebay and get a samsung pcie or a Intel enterprise pcie)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello James232323,

Thanks for replying back.We will be checking with the department in charge so they can take actions about your situation. Please expect an answer soon from us.Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello James232323,

We would like to confirm that it seems our support department is handling your case now and they should be providing you with further steps or solutions.In case you need anything else please let us know.Regards,NC