cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 PCIe SSD: Driver support for Windows Server 2008 (not R2!) ?

HZ2
New Contributor

Hello,

is there a driver support for the Intel 750 PCIe SSD (400 GB, NVMe) for Windows Server 2008 (not R2!)? I see that the driver supports Windows Server R2, but Windows Server 2008 (without R2) is not listed among the operating systems. I use the 64-bit enterprise edition.

Second question: I run an older generation server motherboard that does not support NVMe and I only have PCIe 2.0. I know that I cannot boot from the SSD, and will get reduced bandwidth (about 1.4 GB/sec maximum instead of 2.2 GB/sec). But this is okay, it´s just that I have a lot of database I/O load that must be handled. But will the SSD work at all with my hardware if the driver supports it?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

quat4444,

*Before we go any further, it is important to remind you that the Intel® SSD 750 Series is not designed to be used on servers. It is meant to be used on desktops.

As for the NVMe* Drivers, we only offer drivers for Windows* Server 2008 R2, since there isn't much difference between this one and Windows* Server 2008 it should work. We recommend that you contact Microsoft* for further information on this matter.

As for the hardware, the requirements are the following:

1. uEFI 2.3.1 System BIOS

2. PCIe 3.0 (for performance) or PCIe 2.0 (Half the performance of PCIe 3.0)

3. NVMe* operating system driver.

HZ2
New Contributor

Thank you Aleki for the answer.

It´s a compute server for my Ph.D. thesis, not a production server. The desktop operating systems do not support 4 physical CPUs and 512 GB memory.

However, in my opinion, no desktop user needs 2.2 GB/sec read speed and 400k I/O per second.

Is there a possibility that Intel tests it on a test rig if the 2008 R2 driver works with Windows Server 2008 (non-R2)? I do not really want to buy the SSD and then see that it is not working. "Go to Microsoft" is not a satisfying answer, since Microsoft will just send me back telling me that I have to ask Intel on their drivers, because Intel programmed them and not Microsoft.