cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 SSD Failure on System Resume

DF2
New Contributor II

Hi there, I recently purchased an Intel 750 SSD (2.5 inch drive, model number SSDPE2MW400G4R5) and am having some major issues with getting it to run smoothly. I originally had it as a boot drive for Windows 10 on a newly purchased Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard. Everything with the installation went smoothly. The drive was connected to the motherboard via the M.2 to U.2 Add-in-Card. My experience was fine until attempting to resume from the sleep or hibernation state on my computer. Except for a few random instances, the SSD failed to resume the system from sleep and would eventually give up and restart the system altogether. Specifically, my monitors would show nothing and have no display signal, further my mouse and keyboard would quickly disconnect (after waking the computer) and stay disconnected. However, The computer fans would turn on along with all interior lights and stay running. After auto-restarting, I would then be greeted with a blue screen of death with the error message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". After the next restart (due to the BSOD), the system would then boot fine, usually taking me to the state where i had originally left the computer when it was slept. Attempting the hibernation state would cause the same error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) to appear which would then cause a restart which (after automatic windows repair at the splash screen), would load where i left off at before hibernating the computer. The ensuing hours were then dedicated to trying to find the root cause of the problem. I'll briefly summarize the actions (that I can remember) taken below:

• Downloaded Intel SSD Toolbox and ensured all drivers were up to date.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled intel ssd drivers along with various others such as nvidia display drivers.
  • Changed Power State options to high performance, and changed the hard drive turn off option to "never"
  • Downloaded the latest (non-beta) BIOS version for Motherboard. Specific version ID was changed from F2 to F3 (Full hardware info will be provided below)
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Test, which came back with no errors on the RAM.
  • Ran Full Diagnostic Test on SSD through Intel SSD Toolbox, which came back with no errors.
  • Re-checked for any loose connections within computer case.
  • Uninstalled various non-core programs, and closed non-critical processes before attempting to sleep. Most likely coincidental and non-repeatable, I actually did get the system to resume a few times from the sleep state doing this method. However, after restarting and closing out the same programs and processes, I could not replicate the result. A couple hours of attempts and I gave up on this path.
  • Uninstalled windows 10 altogether and reinstalled Windows 8 cleanly. The issue still persisted in the hibernation and sleep state on windows 8 as well.

At this point, I was out of ideas and decided that the best path forward was to put windows 10 on my SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500 GB to further isolate, confirm, and better diagnose the Intel 750 SSD and the drivers as the underlying issue. As a result, I disconnected all other hard drives/SSD's along with the Intel 750 SSD and installed Windows 10 on the Samsung SSD, I once again attempted the sleep and hibernation states multiple times and over several restarts after installing various programs and drivers. I did not have any issue occur once. The system resumed in roughly 7-10 seconds every time, without a problem.

I now connected all my other storage devices to my PC to once again test for problems. First of all, the Intel 750 SSD was detected and accessible under my devices and drives. I then proceeded to test the sleep state once again without issue on multiple instances. However, the total time to resume from the sleep state increased to roughly 20-30 seconds. Further, the Intel 750 SSD was now no longer detected by windows. Checking Event Viewer lists two relevant entries occurring during system resume.

1. Error at 12:54:59 AM at Source "stornvme" (event id 11): The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort2.
  2. Warning at 12:55:04 AM at Source "disk" (event id 157): Disk 4 has been surprise removed.

At this point, I entered into Device Manager and disabled, and then re-enabled the "standard NVM Express Controller". This immediately caused windows to detect the ssd once again and fixed my issue (until the next sleep state is attempted). If anyone could provide any guidance to me on this issue it would be much appreciated. I do know that users have had similar issues with other M.2 SSD's not resuming from sleep state. One solution I've also read about is to disable link power management? However, I don't want to attempt anything else until I perhaps hear from someone with more experience on solving an issue like this. Thanks so much for reading this far, I'll provide a summary of my specs below, but please let me know anything else needed to help aid you all in solving this!

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 3.50GHz 23 °C

Skylake 14nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z170X-GamingG1 (U3E1) 28 °C

Graphics

XB270HU (2560x1440@144Hz)

VG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)

VG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)

TOSHIBA-TV (1920x1080@60Hz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (EVGA)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (EVGA)

ForceWare version: 353.62

SLI Enabled

Storage

223GB SanDisk SDSSDHII240G (SSD)

931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SSD)

372GB NVMe INTEL SSDPE2MW40 (Unknown)

465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (SSD)

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS30

Audio

Sound Blaster ZxRi

34 REPLIES 34

DF2
New Contributor II

Hi Jonathan, sorry for the delayed response. I tried disconnecting all unnecessary hardware but the issue still persisted. Gigabyte replied back a week after opening the ticket asking the following:

"It appears you have alot of drives installed onto the board, do you only experience this issue with the Intel 750 or with any other sata drives as well?

All other sata drives does not exhibit this issue?

If so, please provide us with more information such as did you applied any type of Windows updates upon completing OS installation and which drivers/software you had applied?"

To tell you the truth, I'm at the end of my rope trying to troubleshoot this one and decided to contact newegg for a refund on the SSD. Sorry you weren't able to fix this one for me, I know you tried your best! Please let me know, if Intel ever determines the potential root cause of this issue. Perhaps, another user will have a similar issue down the line and you'll be able to figure it out through them better.

All the best,

Dean

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Dean,

We would like to thank you for your effort in troubleshooting and for all the information you provided. This will help us investigate further about this issue.

MGuy
New Contributor

Hey Jonathan and Dean,

I too am having the exact same issue with my newly installed 750 pcie drive. The drive itself works great, until you do anything related to sleep state. Then it just crashes the PC. I'm running on the x99 platform, and would like some insight if possible. Specs are as follows:

MSI X99 sli plus

i7 5930k

16GB DDR4

Windows 10 64.

-Matt

DF2
New Contributor II

Interesting, that's now two other people I have heard from that have my issue. Another user on the gigabyte forum described having the http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16340.0 same issue. I have now returned the SSD, but i'll be monitoring this thread. Best of luck fixing it Matt!

MFrei7
New Contributor

Hello,

I just want to say that I have the same exact issue as the original poster. On my Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming 5 motherboard, Windows crashes immediately after waking from a sleep state. (Immediate hard freeze, followed by a blue screen of death - BSOD. Reproducible 100% every time.). This occurs *only* if Windows is installed on the Intel 750 PCIe SSD.

On the same exact system, with no hardware changes, installing Windows on another drive (in my case, a SATA Samsung 850 SSD), resolves the problem. The system sleeps and resumes without problem 100% every time. This is true even if the Intel SSD 750 is still installed in the system.

The issue seems to be using the Intel 750 SSD drive as the install drive for Windows. If it is the install drive, Windows will have a BSOD immediately after resuming from sleep. If any other drive is the install drive, the issue is resolved.

Also, I have tried every single troubleshooting step of the original poster. I even went so far as to change various BIOS settings that I thought could potentially be related to the issue with no luck.