cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 and HDD Activity LED

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed Windows 10 onto my Intel 750 400GB(SSDPE2MW400G4R5-2.5" SSD version) last night and everything seemed fine but then this morning I

noticed that the HDD activity LED was on all the time. After spending about 4 hours on the problem I figured out that the LED works fine on other hard

drives but when I plug in the 750 the LED it appears that it reverses itself(on for no activity and off for activity). I tried messing with the LED connectors

on the motherboard and at the front panel but nothing works.

I used to have the AHCI version of the Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 SSD in the slot and the HDD activity LED functioned correctly.

Except for that the 750 works just fine.

For the record, my setup;

Asus X99 Deluxe with most current bios

32GB Crucial Sport Ballistix DIMMs

1TB Seagate HD

Intel 750 400GB 2.5" SSD with most current firmware

Nvidia GeForce Titan graphics card

Asus Hyper Kit NVMe adapter

Is this a problem that will be fixed with future firmware or should I just return it and hope the replacement doesn't do the same thing?

Message was edited by: Kent Jantz

11 REPLIES 11

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Swingarm,

In this case, we recommend you to review the BIOS settings and make sure you are using the recommended driver as mentioned in the previous post.

Also, you might want to check with the http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support as well, to know if they have any additional recommendations for this behavior, or system updates to prevent it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well an update since my last post on this thread. New Intel 750 firmware and drivers have come out since then, I've upgraded both. The light seems to behaving more like normal. It's not constantly on anymore although it still seems reversed(LED on=no activity, LED off=activity). I believe this is some specific problem between my Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard and the Intel 750 SSD.

VPent
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Definitively LED activity was reversed in one firmware or driver updates that Intel offered.

I've a DC P3700 HHHL driver almost from its launching and with the first firmware and drivers, the activity amber LED was off most of time, going to on only with some desktop activity.

After a firmware or driver update, this behaviour reversed, and now my drive amber LED is almost all time on, with only small blinks.

I dont know which update reversed the behaviour, because the activity LED on HHHL device is on back of computer case, and I noticed this only recently, after several firmware and drivers updates.

I suppose this applies to 750 SSD since the firmware and drivers are the same for both drives.

But the drive itself is OK and a very fast one.

My motherboard is an ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for posting, didn't even think to see if the rest of the enterprise SSD family had similar problems.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

Engineering has confirmed that the current LED behavior for Intel® SSD 750 series is: LED is ON in idle mode and is OFF when drive is active. We would like to inform that the LED behavior for the 750 series will be modified/fixed in next FW update (which will be released later this year).