cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 750 : high read latency

NMICH1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am using a 400gb Intel 750 (pcie card) on a Z97 board.

Using AS SSD, I find that the read latency is about 4 times higher than what I see from reviews (0.08ms vs 0.02ms). The write latency is ok. The 0.02ms seems in line with the specs of the drive, so it appears that my system is slow.

I tried moving to the CPU lanes to see if that was a factor. As expected, I got a nice boost in seq read, but no change in latency :

Example from the web (Google image search for "intel 750 asssd") :

Any idea of what I should look for to obtain "normal" read latencies ? I tried disabling real-time protection in Windows Defender, but no change there.

Platform :

Windows 10 AU

NVME driver 1.7

Intel 4790k

16 Gb RAM

Maximus VII Hero (Z97)

Intel 750 400Gb

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Latenic,

In this case, could please provide the logs from the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox so we can take a look? Here is the link to it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26085/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.Best regards,Aleki

NMICH1
New Contributor

Hello,

Is that the file you get when clicking "Export" ? (Attached to this post). Or is there a location I should get the file from ?

Best regards,

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Latenic,

Thank you for the logs. We are going to analyze and will get back to you as soon as possible.Best regards,Aleki

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Latenic,

Thank you very much for your time. Upon analyzing the logs you have sent to us. We could see the the drive is negotiating with only 0x2 link speed and should negotiate with 0x3 as it is PCIe* 3.0. At this point, it is important to check if it is connected to the right slot as we could see that the drive us running the latest firmware.Please, also, make sure you have the latest BIOS update. According to the motherboard manual, slots No. # 2 and No. # 4 are the recommended ones for this drive. You can confirm this on Chapter 1 >> Motherboard overview item 1.2.5 (Expansion Slots) pages: 1-24 of this manual. For your convenience, here is a link to it: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO/E9192_Maximus_Vii_Hero.pdf Asus* Maximus VII Hero Motherboard Manual.As soon as you have tested, please let us if this worked for you.Best regards,Aleki

NMICH1
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the investigation.

However as I indicated in my first post, moving to the CPU lanes (the recommended slot) does not change the latency (though of course it does increase max throughput).

Maybe what I'm seeing is not a real problem, but I'd really like to have an Intel validated way of measuring latency (maybe add a section in your Evaluation Guide regarding latency ?).