Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 760p Series Sector Alignment

DBaga
New Contributor II

Hello.

Tell me please.

I bought a disk 760 Intel 256 Gb, installed Windows 10 on it, do I need to align the sectors?

How to do it better?

Now installed Windows 10 on half the disk.

The partition table has become GPT.

When installing Windows 10, 3 partitions were created (for ufi, recovery and system disk C).

For the rest of the disk I'm going to install Linux.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi bagas,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.There is no need to align the sectors in your drive. You can use the drive as it's now.However, if you want to learn more about aligning the partitions, you can check the following article that explains what implications this process has and how it can be performed: https://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-partitions-are-correctly-aligned-for-optimal-solid-sta...Please note that this is not a required process to have your drive working, but it's up to you if you want to go further on this. We don't have any recommended method or tool for this, and the article above is just a suggestion that I found for you that I think you will be find interesting.I hope this answers your concern.Have a nice day.Regards,Diego V.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi bagas,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.There is no need to align the sectors in your drive. You can use the drive as it's now.However, if you want to learn more about aligning the partitions, you can check the following article that explains what implications this process has and how it can be performed: https://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-partitions-are-correctly-aligned-for-optimal-solid-sta...Please note that this is not a required process to have your drive working, but it's up to you if you want to go further on this. We don't have any recommended method or tool for this, and the article above is just a suggestion that I found for you that I think you will be find interesting.I hope this answers your concern.Have a nice day.Regards,Diego V.

DBaga
New Contributor II

Thank.

I understand that I can lose up to 4094 blocks / sectors or approximately 2 MB per partition due to incorrect formatting / alignment.

Interesting.

I decided to ask, maybe there is some proven solution to align the sectors on the disk.

It is necessary to leave a certain percentage of unlabelled disk area.

to replace the wrong sectors?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi bagas,

It's not necessary, although it is a common practice while using SSDs in general. After searching on different sites in Internet, I found that the users usually reserve a small portion of unallocated space based on the drive capacity as follow:
  • 60GB, 120GB, 240GB, 480GB and 960GB: 8% to 10% of unallocated reserved space at the end.
  • 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1024GB: 15% to 25% of unallocated reserved space at the end.

So once again, it's up to you if you want to leave a small portion of the space as unallocated, however it's not required for the drive to work properly. The information above is just for your reference and it's based on public information found in Internet. It's not information that we recommend or suggest in any way.

Regards,

Diego V.