cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Core i5 Windows 7

DWhet
New Contributor

Is it true that I should not be performing a disk clean up or running a scan disk on my Windows 7 ? Someone told me that because I have a SSD it screws up the computer when I perform on of these functions. Please keep in mind I am not a techy by any means.

1 REPLY 1

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Sorry for the late reply,

There are some storage tools in Windows* that are still useful, and some others that are not required with SSD's. I would like to refer to the ones you mentioned as well as some other common tools.

Disk Cleanup: This is used if you want to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your hard disk to free up disk space. It removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes a variety of system files and other items that you no longer need. This tool has the same functionality for SSD's and HDD's, it allows you to free up hard drive space and should not harm your SSD.

Scan Disk: It is used to identify and automatically correct file system errors and make sure that you can continue to load and write data from the hard disk. File System errors can happen on SSD's as well as HDD's; the option to Scan and recover bad sectors may not be required with SSD, but can still be used if needed. Keep in mind that Check disk should only be used if you suspect that the drive or file system may be having problems. Running this tool regularly or on a schedule may add unnecessary wear to the SSD.

Disk Defragmenter: This tool rearranges fragmented data. This one is not recommended for SSD's since SSD devices see no performance benefit from defragmentation. Windows 7* actually disables this when it detects an SSD and it is not recommended for users to run it on demand either.

TRIM: The TRIM function improves compatibility, endurance, and performance by allowing the drive to do garbage collection in the background. This should enabled by default by Windows 7 when and SSD is detected.

If you have an Intel® SSD, you can https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18455/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Download Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox and use it to check the health of your SSD, perform the optimizer (TRIM on demand), and also get logs and details for your drive.