Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Intel Core i7 6700HQ support NVMe technology?

vfacc44
Beginner

I'm looking for compatibility of my laptop with an M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD (x4)
My computer is as follows:

Immagine.png

Manufacture's technical service answered the same question with the following SSDs:

SSD SATA 128GB M.2 2280/FXT2201Q

Samsung/MZNLF128HCHP-00004

SSD SATA3 128GB M.2 2280

LITEON/CV1-8B128 FW:G871603

SSD SATA 256GB M.2 2280/20200L00

Hynix/HFS256G39MND-2300A

SSD SATA3 256GB M.2 2280

LITEON/CV1-8B256 FW:G881603

SSD SATA 512GB M.2 2280/MA01

Micron/MTFDDAV512MBF-1AN1ZABYY

SSD P3X4 256GB M2 2280 NVME

SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000

SSD P3X4 512GB M2 2280 NVME

SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000

The list concerns first-install system disks, as mentioned by Manufacturer, 5 years old and no longer normally on the market.

My question, therefore, is if you can kindly point me to a 500 GB INTEL M.2 NVMe SSD, compatible with the laptop described above with UEFI / GPT BIOS and which has the OS on a 125 GB SATA disk, now too small and that I have to replace, buying it online at the best price.
The motherboard of the laptop carries (1) only M.2 connection so I will clone the old SSD on the new one with the help of a USB 3.1 box.

Thank you so much in advance for your welcome reply.

Vittorio

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, vfacc44.

Good day,

I'm generally and advocate of reinstalling the OS instead of trying to migrate the system from one drive to the other, specially if a USB adapter must to be involved, but what you mentioned sounds right, most of the time this is a really smooth process.

I would still recommend checking with the system manufacturer in case they can offer any recommendations regarding this process, just in case.

Please let me know if I can try to assist you with anything else, I will keep the thread open and follow up on October 11th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, vfacc44.

Good day,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your thread regarding compatible Intel NVMe SSDs for your system, I will be glad to assist you.

You can use our product specifications page to search for different SSD types and filter by feature, the following article describes how to use it.

- How to Find Compatible SSDs Based on Specific Specs: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056604/memory-and-storage.html

Based on the specifications of some of those drives you listed (M.2, NVMe, 22x80) it could be a 670p:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/204107/intel-ssd-670p-series-512gb-m-2-80mm-pcie-3-0-x4-3d4-qlc.html

You can continue using the same page to compare with other Intel products if needed, or look for other drives, but we cannot tell you for sure that this or any other drives will work on your system as we don't know if there are other requirements that only the system manufacturer is aware of, so what we can do is match the specifications of the other drives you were recommended.

Regarding availability and pricing, you can contact one of the official resellers or distributors and they can help you with that as this is not something we handled from the technical support side: https://marketplace.intel.com/s/pmp-partner-program/a723b0000008PICAA2/distributor

I will follow up on October 8th, so please let us know if you have other questions.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
vfacc44
Beginner

Good morning Mr. Bruce C.

Thank you for your timely reply. I have already proceeded to track online the suggested 670p disk by looking in the INTEL application that you kindly indicated to me in your welcome answer.

Then I proceed to purchase both the SSD and the USB box that I will need for the cloning procedure and later to have an external SSD to backup the laptop.

After initializing GPT the new SSD should be automatically recognized by the UEFI, and after cloning and replacing the old SSD with the new one, the system should be forced to charge from the new SSD.

That is all I intend to implement and I hope to be able to complete the operation smoothly. If there are any other notices that I need to know before starting work, please let me know.

Kind regards
Vittorio

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, vfacc44.

Good day,

I'm generally and advocate of reinstalling the OS instead of trying to migrate the system from one drive to the other, specially if a USB adapter must to be involved, but what you mentioned sounds right, most of the time this is a really smooth process.

I would still recommend checking with the system manufacturer in case they can offer any recommendations regarding this process, just in case.

Please let me know if I can try to assist you with anything else, I will keep the thread open and follow up on October 11th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, vfacc44.

Thank you for marking your thread as resolved.

I will close it right now, and if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back by opening a new thread or via any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos