cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel DC S4610 UEFI Boot Only or bad firmware?

KO
New Contributor II

I was trying to put this drive into service, and just completed the firmware update (XCV10110) and testing, but now can't seem to install Windows (7/8/8.1/10/Server). The hardware that doesn't work is a mix of server, workstation, and PC BIOS, EFI, and older UEFI motherboards. However, the install seems to work on a two year old PC I tested that's certified for Windows 10 (note: I didn't wait for the install to complete as I was troubleshooting what works and what doesn't).

The specific error that's displayed with the other mix of PC and Server hardware is:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu"

No combination of MBR/GPT partitioning or uninitialized blank disks worked for hardware that wasn't Windows 10 certified.

So my question is - what UEFI version is required in order to use the drive? Or is this a firmware issue?

Update: I cloned an MBR formatted Windows hard drive to the S4610 and it boots normally. So this is probably a firmware issue. The drive is presenting itself to the Windows installer as a UEFI drive, no matter how the drive is formatted or what type of bios is on the motherboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KO
New Contributor II

We don't have any additional business hours to spend installing operating systems just to provide system reports. The system reports are not going to provide any meaningful information.

I appreciate the suggestions and trying to work through the problem, but it's really an Intel engineering issue (firmware / controller), not a motherboard problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi KO,

Thank you for your reply.

We are requiring with your cooperation to provide us with some information about your system(s) where the SSD is attached to. To do this, Intel® has available, the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*; you’ll be able to download it on the following link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Please note, there’s a Linux* version also for you to download; in that case, please follow this link to download it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/     

·        Please download the software.

·        When finished downloading it, open it and follow instructions

·        Please attach the SSU Log text file obtained on your next your reply.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

KO
New Contributor II

We don't have any additional business hours to spend installing operating systems just to provide system reports. The system reports are not going to provide any meaningful information.

I appreciate the suggestions and trying to work through the problem, but it's really an Intel engineering issue (firmware / controller), not a motherboard problem.