Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Data Migration SW 2019 Build 15240 - Does not clone System Disk to Intel SSD 660p

Jump to solution

I have an GigaByte Auros 470X Gaming 7 WiFi (V1.1) motherboard. Currently using a Samsung 850 PRO 512 GB as the System Disk for Windows 10 Build 1903. Installed an Intel M2 660p 1TB in the M2b slot on the motherboard. The Bios recognized the 660p drive as NVME. Windows 10 made the Drive a GPT drive. Downloaded the Intel Data Migration SW and selected Clone from the Samsung SSD to the Intel 660p. In a second it reported that it had finished and I should shutdown and remove the Samsung SSD. But there are NO partitions on the 660p. Downloaded the Intel SSD Drive Toolbox. It reports the 660p drive health as GOOD. See the attached screenshots from the Toolbox and from Windows Device Manager. Why is cloning "finished" but nothing has been transferred?Intel SSD Toolbox System Report.PNGDevice Manager Disk Drives.PNG

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Beginner

I have the exact same issue with different hardware though. Trying to clone old Samsung SSD to new M.2 2048Gb that I just installed but in a nanosecond it says it finished and didn't do a damn thing. Tried it also with cloning my old Intel SSD to the new one and it started actually to do the cloning, but i cancelled it.

So no Samsung->Intel cloning allowed, only Intel->Intel or what's up with that? I'm not going to do a clean install, don't have the patience to do that :D

EDIT: Now it's cloning! I don't know which one helped but did these two things:

1) Updated "Client NVMe* Microsoft Windows* Drivers for Intel® SSDs" driver

OR

2) Downloaded/downgraded to data migration tool 3.2 from 3.3

Either way, now it's cloning! Let's hope everything goes well... :o

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted

Hello SGall14,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 660p Series (1.0TB) and the Intel® Data Migration Software. If we infer correctly, please provide us with the following troubleshooting information as stated in the “User Guide for Intel® Data Migration Software” (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020923/memory-and-storage.html) article:

• Please, generate a system report, by performing the following:

o  On the main program, window click the question mark symbol and select the Generate system report.

o  On the Windows Start menu, click All Programs -> Intel -> Data Migration Software -> Tools and

Utilities -> Intel System Report.

o  Press CTRL+F7. Note that you can use the key combination even when Data Migration Software is performing any other operation.

After the report is generated:

o  To save the generated system report to file, click Save and in the opened window specify a location for the created file.

o  To exit the main program window without saving the report, click Cancel.

•  When you create your bootable rescue media, the Intel System Report tool is automatically placed on the media as a separate component. This component allows you to generate a system report when your computer cannot boot. After you boot from the media, you can generate the report without running Data Migration Software. Simply plug in a USB flash drive and click the Intel System Report icon. The generated report is being saved on the USB flash drive.
  •  
  • Please provide the following information:

1. A description of the exact sequence of steps performed before you encountered the issue.

2. A crash dump. For information on how to collect such a dump, see the Intel Support Knowledge Base (KB) article at http://kb.acronis.com/content/27931.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Third-Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use, you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third-party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site-specific terms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Josh,

Thanks for your reply. I did not have patience. I decided to install a new Windows 10 build to the 660p. I created a Windows 10 ISO flash drive.

I read that the UEFI boot software is in the 660p firmware. It was suggested to disconnect all except the 660p and to boot from the Windows 10 ISO on the flash drive. I did that. I installed a new Windows 10 on the 660p. Booted to the 660p. It worked like a champ.

My old C: drive only contains Windows, program folders and whatever files Windows forces to keep on the C: drive. I keep Pictures. Videos, Downloads, User folders, are on separate partitions on other physical drives. In other words I don't lose any of my content when the C: is new. It is somewhat of a pain to reinstall programs. BUT it took less time that what I spent trying to Clone the old C: drive to the 660.

I suggest that maybe a little AI could be used to create a more robust Data Migration Software. At this stage of technology it does not seem like it would be rocket science to have software that doesn't know that it was unsuccessful in cloning a drive. Especially when the new 660p drive had NO PARTITIONS on it.

Steve

Highlighted

Hello SGall14,

Thank you for your reply.

We are glad to hear that you were able to solve your issue by reinstalling your OS and that your Intel® SSD 660p Series is working as expected.

We appreciate your feedback and the information provided, our department in charge of software and solutions development will take a look at it to be considered for future updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have the exact same issue with different hardware though. Trying to clone old Samsung SSD to new M.2 2048Gb that I just installed but in a nanosecond it says it finished and didn't do a damn thing. Tried it also with cloning my old Intel SSD to the new one and it started actually to do the cloning, but i cancelled it.

So no Samsung->Intel cloning allowed, only Intel->Intel or what's up with that? I'm not going to do a clean install, don't have the patience to do that :D

EDIT: Now it's cloning! I don't know which one helped but did these two things:

1) Updated "Client NVMe* Microsoft Windows* Drivers for Intel® SSDs" driver

OR

2) Downloaded/downgraded to data migration tool 3.2 from 3.3

Either way, now it's cloning! Let's hope everything goes well... :o

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hello JOlli1,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

We are glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue you were experiencing with the Intel® Data Migration Software by updating your drivers and using a previous version of the tool.

We will like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this thread.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The migration went well and now I'm rocking the new SSD :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JOlli1,

Thank you for your reply,

We are happy to hear that the tool worked for you and that you are enjoying your new SSD.

We will proceed to close this community thread as the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Same thing here. I bought a 1TB 660p m.2 yesterday to upgrade the default slow spinner in my Inspiron 7573. Using iDMS v15240 the clone job "finishes" in a couple of seconds but literally does nothing. I tried automatic and manual mode; Both show a Before/After clone preview that looks right, but after the cloning starts it always just immediately finishes saying it succeeded -- while having done nothing.

Per JOlli1, I also then downgraded to iDMS v12640 and now it's clearly taking its time (~1h30m) and doing what it's supposed to. iDMS v15240 is whack, v12640 would seem to be more reliable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Respectfully, this shouldn't be marked as "the answer" as it's not an answer at all, it's a helpful request for diagnostic info, but it's not an answer of any kind at all. The real answer is below by Jolli1 -- turns out iDMS 15240 is just glitchy in this regard. The best answer so far, if you experience this issue, is to uninstall v15240 and to download and use v12640 instead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just upgraded my system to an S4500 SSD. I ran across the same issue with the IDMS 15240 and spent considerable time troubleshooting until I found this post.

Question to the Intel Support Team: Why is IDMS 15240 still posted to downloadcenter? Why is build 12640 NOT posted as well? I had to find it off of a third party site? Is NSG even aware of the issue with 15240 presented in this post?

0 Kudos