cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Data Migration SW - using the "emergency boot disk"

mport4
New Contributor

RE-STATED the Original POST: See the following:

Regarding the Intel Data Migration Software (IDMS) v.2.0. I installed IDMS v.2 on my PC. I choose to create and use an IDMS "emergency" boot disk (EBD) as discussed in Appendix A of the IDMS User Guide . I created the EBD from within the IDMS v.2 installed on my PC. The EBD includes a standalone version of the IDMS files, stored in a single folder on the EBD.

I have been un-successful in running the EBD as it freezes up during the loading process. My PC uses an UEFI with an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard, and Windows8x64Pro. The PC system employs W8 Secure Disk, and the system disk is formatted with a GPT. Intel states in its IDMS User Guide that the IDMS now supports "W8 systems with GUID Partition Table (GPT) and uEFI bios". The IDMS includes a Acronis UEFI Loader that is employed during the use of the EBD. I should be able to start, boot, load, and run the EBD by simply choosing to boot my PC from the UEFI-CD/DVD drive containing the EBD. However, I have been repeatedly un-successful in running the EBD as it freezes up during the "loading" process every time.......!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

thank you. your assistance will be most appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

UHans
Contributor

To migrate your OS to a new SSD, you could also just use Windows' own built-in full system backup / bare metal restore function, although you temporary need a third drive (internal SATA or external USB) to write the backup to and to restore from.

Plug in your backup drive and execute the following command in an admin elevated command prompt (where U: is the drive letter of your backup drive):

Wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:u: -allCritical -vssCopy -quiet

This will backup your OS partition and any EFI/system partitions needed to boot the OS. Any secondary, non-OS data drives will not be included in the backup.

Next, shut down the PC, replace the original system drive with the empty SSD, boot on the Windows installation media and select restore from backup.

Note that you may have to resize your OS partition before doing the backup if the SSD's capacity is smaller than the old OS partition.

mport4
New Contributor

thank you for your post above and moving my question forward...

please allow me to ask a few questions so that i can be sure I understand what you have posted.

1. I have three (3) GPT drives: one contains my operating system (W8x64Pro); all applications; and current personal 'data' files. The second is a separate drive for personal 'data' backups and other storage.

The third drive is Empty. Drive # 2 and # 3 can be either internal SATA or external USB. All three drives are SATA.Q: What is a 'bare metal' restore function?

2. Moving on.

I follow your instructions in paragraph # 2 of your post executing the command in an admin elevate prompt where U: is the backup drive letter.

3. I execute the commands and flags as written in your post....

Q: a. The result will be a full image backup of my primary drive (# 1) ? b. Will this 'backup' erase anything or everything on the target disk ??? c. Can I direct the 'backup' to a Folder on the target disk; ie, U:\Backup -allCritical -vssCopy -quiet ?

Next, I follow the directions to shut down the PC, replace drives, and boot from the Windows install media, and restore from backup.

Q: a. The "Restore" image above will be directed to the Empty drive disk, correct? b. What condition or state should the Empty drive be in? Initialized ? no partitions? no file formatting? etc

Q: Do I need to concern myself with partition alignments, existing drive and folder or file permissions, drive signatures, and other Drive related issues, etc ???

So I can leave the IDMS emergency boot drive problem for another time, or maybe never ??

This all sounds easy enough...

Thank you very much oken !

<<}:>|

That is a lot of questions. I am not going to guide you through every step in detail, but here are some pointers:

Bare metal restore definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bare_metal_restore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bare_metal_restore

The result of the backup command will be a complete OS/boot partition backup (excluding any data drives) that can be used for bare metal restore. You cannot specify a destination folder for the backup, only a drive letter. Windows will create a folder named "WindowsImageBackup" for you. Use the exact syntax in the example. The backup will not overwrite the backup destination drive, only add a file/folder structure to it. Note: The destination drive needs to be NTFS formatted.

When restoring after booting on the installation media, you will be asked which drive to restore to, but I recommend unplugging your data drives before restoring to avoid any misunderstandings. The destination drive should be blank, meaning no with partitions.

Regarding partition alignments: If it was fine before backup, it will be fine after restore.

Remember that you may have to resize your OS partition to be able fit the new drive before you store the backup.

mport4
New Contributor

apologies for all the questions. thanks again for the education and for all your help !