cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EUnsa
Beginner

Intel M.2 + Micron Momentum Cache

Jump to solution

Long story short: i installed momentum cache on my Intel M.2. Momentum Cache is a Micron SSD utility (Crucial Executive Storage Manager). Attached are the numbers I'm getting and I like it. It's been a month. Any cons to this setup?

Long:

My c: is an Intel M.2. I also have a Crucial SSD and a RAID0 2xHDD on SATA. Crucial has a utility called Storage Executive Management (free download). It has a "Momentum Cache" feature that works on any SSD and increases read/write speeds 5x. Some say it's bad for the SSD's health, but SSDs die out of the blue anyway so why not. I used the momentum cache on the Crucial SSD before I got the Intel M.2. Now the program detects both SSDs and recommends that I enable Momentum Cache on the boot drive, which is my M.2. So I did. Nothing blew up so far.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hello moosedoctor,

From what we understand, this caching technology works by allocating a portion of your DRAM to work as a temporary write buffer. Based on this information we do not suspect it should have any negative effects on your Intel® SSD.

If you would like to be on the safe side, you may download and use the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26574/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® SSD Toolbox to monitor your drive's health and estimated life remaining.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

Hello moosedoctor,

From what we understand, this caching technology works by allocating a portion of your DRAM to work as a temporary write buffer. Based on this information we do not suspect it should have any negative effects on your Intel® SSD.

If you would like to be on the safe side, you may download and use the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26574/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® SSD Toolbox to monitor your drive's health and estimated life remaining.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post