Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChon3
New Contributor I

Intel P3700 compatibility with Z97 motherboard

Does the P3700 SSD actually populate values into Intel SMBus slave device 53h?

I have this SMBus issue on one Z97 motherboard (ASUS Maximus VII Gene) but not on another Z97 motherboard (ASROCK Z97M Pro 4).

As far as I know, 53h is supposed to contain DIMM SPD data for memory slot B2, when any RAM is populated in slot B1/B2 while the P3700 SSD is populated in any of the PCI Express slots on the Maximus VII Gene motherboard will result in a memory error (no boot).

I am trying to figure out who should I be looking for a fix to this issue, Intel or Asus?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Do you know if the BIOS from the ASUS motherboard support UEFI 2.3.1?

CChon3
New Contributor I

I do. Running the UEFI Shell on my ASUS motherboard, I type in "ver" from the EFI Shell prompt, this is the result:

EFI Specification: 2.31

EFI Vendor: American Megatrends

EFI Revision: 4.655

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I managed to get some answers to the questions you asked above:

1. Yes, PCIe SSD's are technically 'memory' devices.
  2. The change to correct this will most likely need to come from ASUS. We do not currently have a Maximus VII Gene board, but we will test a similar configuration to see if we can recreate this issue.
CChon3
New Contributor I

1. Why does it have to be 53h (and not somewhere else)? I am pretty sure all the recent PCHs (Cougar Point, Panther Point, Lynx Point) use 50h-53h on the SMBus for DIMM SPD data. I know that Patsburg (and maybe Wellsburg) is the exception to this (where DIMM SPD data is at a different location).

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please allow us more time to investigate.

CChon3
New Contributor I

idata
Community Manager

53h is the correct location for the VPD (Vital Product Data) per the SSD Form Factor specification. The Intel® SSD DC P3700/P3600 series drives are targeted for Data Center Servers and Storage appliances. These systems generally use a MUX to allow multiple devices to share resources.

CChon3
New Contributor I

One last question:

Will the P3700 work even if 3.3Vaux is not supplied by the system (as per Chapter 7.5, 2nd paragraph of Enterprise SSD Form Factor 1.0a Specification)?

http://www.ssdformfactor.org/docs/SSD_Form_Factor_Version1_a.pdf http://www.ssdformfactor.org/docs/SSD_Form_Factor_Version1_a.pdf

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello ClementChong,

We are going to verify on this for you and will let you know soon. Please allow us some time to check further on this matter.