Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel P4500 U.2 SSD slow PCIe x1

SMuns
New Contributor

I1

Hi,

I have an Intel P4500 U.2 SSD, since last firmware update the drive has slowed down to PCIe x1 instead of x3.

The drive has no errors, it just the speed that is slow.

any command I need to run in isdct to fix this?

Regards,

Shawn

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi ShawnMunster,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.I understand that you are expericing a slow down on the PCIe interface after the firmware was updated. I've checked the log file attached to the post, but I'd like to ask you if you can run the following command and attach the output here so I can take a look at it:isdct show -a -intelssd This command will give us additional information about the drive.Note: If you are not sure about the SSD index number, run first the command isdct show -intelssd to display all drives, then look for the index number of the drive in discussion and finally run the command mentioned above.On the meantime, I'll check from my side if there is a specific command that can modify the actual speed the PCIe interface is working on. I know there is one for SATA drives, but I'm not sure if there is also a command for PCIe drives.Additionally and just to confirm, have you changed the port the SSD is connected to after the firmware update? Usually, these kind of issues are because of the PCIe slot used which has a lower capacity than the actual device causing a slow down.Another thing to consider is the NVMe* driver. Please make sure you have installed the latest driver version (4.0.0.1007) available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27517?v=tIf you haven't updated the NVMe* driver, please do so and then run the command I mentioned at the beginning so that the data is collected with the latest driver installed and make sure the SSD is in the correct PCIe slot.I'll be waiting for your response.Have a nice day.Regards,Diego V.

SMuns
New Contributor

Hi Diego V,

I have change ports and cables, PCIe slot nothing makes any difference. still slow.

Here is output requested.

Regards,

Shawn.

SMuns
New Contributor

Hi Diego V,

Some more info attached just in case SSU.

Regards,

Shawn.

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for the information. I can see from the report attached that you have the latest NVMe* driver installed. However, there is an interesting thing that I noticed from the previous report and the new one.

If you check the first report that you shared, you will see at the end the "Current PCIe Link Speed" value which is 1. That means that drive was working as a PCIe 1.0 device. However, the same value appears in the new report as 3 which means the drive works now as a PCIe 3.0 device (it appears as "PCILinkGenSpeed"). I'm not sure about why it was different before (maybe the driver was updated?), but from the latest report it looks to be fine.

Please let me know how you are measuring the drive performance to make this conclusion.

From your original post, I understand you are talking about the PCIe lanes (x1, x4, x8, x16), but I'm not sure if you are referring to the PCIe gen instead. The reason of my confusion is because of the information in the reports that I explained above. Additionally, the interface of the drive you have is PCIe 3.1 x4 which means it's a PCIe gen 3 device and should be connected to a port with x4 lanes.

From the SSU report, I can see that you have a Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard and according to its specifications, it only has PCIe 3.0 x16 slots so the drive should work fine on these. Actually, that's reflected in the latest report from the Intel® SSD DCT (PCIe gen 3 x4 width). That makes me thing again about how you are measuring the drive speed because from the reports everything seems to be in order.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.