Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Rapid Storage Technology runs 320 series SSD at 1.5Gb/s

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

Has anyone encountered this issue:

I have a system that is based upon the Core i7-2600K and an ASUS P8Z68 motherboard. I am using a 160GB Intel 320 series SSD drive as the system boot drive. It is attached to the Intel SATA controller. I also have two Hitachi 3TB HDDs (6Gbps) drives in RAID 0 attached to the Intel SATA controller, a LG Blu-Ray burner and an Asus DVD burner attached to the Intel controller as well.

The system is running Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate (64-bit). I have the newest SATA firmware available from ASUS (in system BIOS 0501) and the newest Intel RST drivers loaded (10.5.0.1027).I have the controller set to RAID mode and the 10.5.0.1026 RAID drivers were F6 loaded during the Windows 7 installation. They have been subsequently upgraded to the above mentioned 10.5.0.1027 version.

When loading the Intel RST application and checking the status of the drives, everything looks good, except that the 320 series SSD is identified as having only a 1.5Gbps SATA transfer rate instead of a 3.0Gbps that it should have. I checked on this drive because it seemed to be running slower on this Sandy Bridge Z68 system than in another system I have with an older chipset.

All the other drives are identified with the proper SATA transfer rate and seem to be running just fine.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

To Koitsu,

Thank you for your reply. I don't think the error was caused by my LG BD writer. It just run in different interferce, that's why it came out with error. SATA/IDE mode vs SATA/AHCI mode. It run fine without error when it's on AHCI mode with RST driver installed, reading and writing are all fine.

There is a RST bug that cause my SSD run in 1.5GB/S(SATA1), I mention it all run fine in P35 ICH9 chipset, it doesn't came with RAID function and no need to install RST driver. Forget to mention that my system is run in plain AHCI mode, without any disk array.

Now I'm waiting for Intel reply. Hope they are not just sitting there and do nothing. Futhermore Intel diver doesn't support/compatible with their own line of SSD is a joke!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, I have four X-25M G2 80GB SSDs, a 120GB 510, and a Crucial M4, spread over several PCs. My P67 board PC has three SSDs in it, a 510, a G2, and the M4. Of course using IRST, actually newer versions from Intel rather than from my board's manufacture (even my Intel board...) I've never had any change or drop of SATA interface speed. SATA chipsets are only ICH10R and P67, but across socket 775, 1366, and 1155 boards.

FungYW, what AHCI driver are you using? The problem could be the option ROM for your ICH9 chipset. I tried to find your P5 board on ASUS' website, not there. The only P5 board they do list does not have any SATA drivers listed for downloading, that is strange.

Don't forget when you say the IRST driver does not work, it does not work for you apparently, but has always worked fine for me and many others.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Interesting, I am running a X25-M 160GB G2 on the same motherboard as you FungYW. However, the drive certainly runnins in SATA 3Gb/s mode.

Which older RST driver did you attempt?

You want to run RST drivers instead of Matrix RAID drivers for TRIM support.