cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 330 120GB often freezes for 60 seconds

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have a problem with my SSD. The symptoms are exactly as decribed in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976418 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976418

The problem is that I have already installed Windows 7 SP1 and available hotfix is already included in SP1. So the problem should be gone, but it's not in my case. It happens quite often and is very annoying. I think it may be the SSD firmware issue, because I have already tried almost everything and nothing helps. So I decided to post here on Intel's support community for help. I have Windows 7 Home Premium x86 SP1 installed in AHCI mode with msahci driver. My motherboard is Intel D915PBL with 4 SATA I ports. The OS often freezes for exactly 60 seconds and after that time, simply returns to the normal operation. Please help me solve this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Please be aware that you are using a system with a SATA controller two generations behind, because of this reason you might experience slow performance and hardware compatibility issues, on this case the recommendation will be to use a SATA II port for better performance.

it is not recommended to use Solid State Drives with legacy systems (more than 4 years old computers) since the SATA controller was not designed to manage the high speed of Solid State Drives.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for your answer, but I've already read this and the provided solution is not for me. I'm using ahci driver from Microsoft and I can't switch to a different driver, because my integrated SATA controller (ICH6R) is not supported by Intel in Windows 7.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

trance,

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. It was the registry changes I was suggesting. I too am using the MS AHCI driver (with an Intel 335) and was running into the problems you describe. In fact, I came across your post while researching the issue.

I tried the registry changes mentioned in the article and my problem "appears" to have vanished. What it does is disable low power mode for the device.

1. Set a restore point.

2. Take the text at the bottom of this message and copy it into a file with a ".reg" extension.

3. Double click on the file and it will prompt you for permission, allow permission.

4. Reboot.

That should be it. It does assume you don't have more than six SATA ports. If you do, you can add additional ports to the file.

Text below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000

"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000"DIPM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000

"DIPM"=dword:00000000

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have no iaStor, but iaStorV registry entries. Should I create the iaStor too and add those mentioned registry entries or just add the registry changes only under iaStorV? Will it work even if the driver is not installed (iaStor) or is turned off (iaStorV) on my pc?