cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 330 120GB often freezes for 60 seconds

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have a problem with my SSD. The symptoms are exactly as decribed in this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976418 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976418

The problem is that I have already installed Windows 7 SP1 and available hotfix is already included in SP1. So the problem should be gone, but it's not in my case. It happens quite often and is very annoying. I think it may be the SSD firmware issue, because I have already tried almost everything and nothing helps. So I decided to post here on Intel's support community for help. I have Windows 7 Home Premium x86 SP1 installed in AHCI mode with msahci driver. My motherboard is Intel D915PBL with 4 SATA I ports. The OS often freezes for exactly 60 seconds and after that time, simply returns to the normal operation. Please help me solve this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Please be aware that you are using a system with a SATA controller two generations behind, because of this reason you might experience slow performance and hardware compatibility issues, on this case the recommendation will be to use a SATA II port for better performance.

it is not recommended to use Solid State Drives with legacy systems (more than 4 years old computers) since the SATA controller was not designed to manage the high speed of Solid State Drives.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You will see the options after you add the registry changes mentioned there. I think it's useless anyway.

Yes, I'm running W7 32bit.

Yes, it is a strange thing with the dates and version numbers.

I will wait for the answer from Intel's Support, but I don't expect much from them anyway. There is no even a single firmware update for months. Maybe I'll have to change the SSD for a different brand. I will see. Thanks for help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi trance,

Try the following setup. It's a setting of turning off LPM for msahci driver.

If keys don't exist on your Registry, you create it.

Doing is the same as brn's method.The target driver is only different.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0]

"DipmEnabled"=hex:00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0]

"HipmDisabled"=hex:01

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think Trance hit the nail on the head...I'm simply giving up on the 330 drive and going with a samsung 840 pro,

Sorry intel, but I think your lack of response to this issue with 330 is telling. I think you wish we would just quietly go away. The 330 line should have never been released, And now that the 335 series is out, Intel is pretending it wasn't..

Thanks for nothing.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Tok, Thank you very much for your advice, but currently I'm not able to check your solution, because I upgraded to Windows 8. I did a clean install, but unfortunately the freezes persist. They are now shorter (around 25 seconds) and when they appear I get 2 entries in the event viewer:

"WARNING - storahci - Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

"WARNING - disk - The IO operation at logical block address xxx for Disk 0 was retried."

Block addresses each time are different.

I hope that Intel release a firmware update soon, because I think this is probably an SSD/Sandforce firmware issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Please be aware that you are using a system with a SATA controller two generations behind, because of this reason you might experience slow performance and hardware compatibility issues, on this case the recommendation will be to use a SATA II port for better performance.

it is not recommended to use Solid State Drives with legacy systems (more than 4 years old computers) since the SATA controller was not designed to manage the high speed of Solid State Drives.