cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just upgraded to an Intel SSD 520 240 GB and I am experiencing a problem which never occurred with my previous HDD: a BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

My system specifications are as follows:

• Asus U20A Notebook
  • Intel Dual-Core ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz
  • Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset + ICH9M
  • 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM
  • Intel GMA X4500MHD Graphics

I have disabled Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM), Host Initiated Link Power Management (HIPM) and Link Power Management (LMP). The problem occurs sometimes with Microsoft's AHCI drivers, and everytime with Intel's Rapid Storage Technology 10.8.0.1003 drivers. No minidumps are created.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have this problem as well. In fact, I came to these forums to report this very issue. This seems to happen with the latest version of the Intel RST drivers. Once I uninstall the drivers and make sure I go back to Window's generic drivers, everything starts working fine again.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As I reported in my other /message/168863# 168863 thread...

Unfortunately, it appears that updating to the latest IRST corrupted my SSD, causing explorer.exe and other Windows components to crash constantly and requiring the SSD to be scanned before each boot to recover bad sectors. This was the last straw. I sold the SSD and purchased a Samsung 830 and I've never been happier.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same issue. Upgraded an Asus U50a notebook with SSD 520 240 GB last night, now Windows 7 freezes upon resume from sleep. Did a clean os re-installation, checked drivers (using Microsoft AHCI), no change. Acts as if the ssd does not power on resume from sleep S3. After a reboot all is fine, and the Intel ssd toolbox does not find any problem.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Starchild,

I had the problem with BSOD on resume from sleep after cloning my existing hard drive to an Intel 330 SSD. This is in an Asus x83-vb laptop (manufactured January 2009) with the Intel Centrino platform.

To make the issue easier to troubleshoot, I then did a secure erase of the Intel 330 180 GB SSD and limited my subsequent experimentations to clean installs off my Win7 Pro 64 retail disk. The clean installs also had the BSOD on resume problem. I couldn't find a cure and RMA'd the Intel 330 back to Newegg.

The brand new replacement Intel 330 SSD wasn't any better. By then, I'd read everything I could find on the web and tried all suggestions. Use the MS drivers, get BSOD on resume. Perform another clean install with the latest Intel RST drivers off an F6 disk, get BSOD on resume. Perform another clean install with an older version of the Intel RSD drivers off an F6 disk, get BSOD on resume. Update the chipset drivers, get BSOD on resume. Update the nVidia graphics driver, get BSOD on resume. Run /fixmbr while booted from the rescue disk, get BSOD on resume. Tediously fix all of the attributes under diskpart, get BSOD on resume. Etc. etc. for hours. No joy.

The question at this point was whether my laptop is simply too old to use with any SSD. I decided to pull the 64 GB [competitor's non-Sandforce] SSD out of my desktop. Performed the "clean" operation under Diskpart and plugged it into the Asus laptop. For the umpteenth time, ran a clean install of Win7Pro 64 off the MS retail disk using all defaults. Result: perfect performance right from the conclusion of the install. Resume from sleep: perfect. Resume from hibernation: perfect. Turn off hibernation and then resume from sleep: perfect. This is with only the drivers that were installed by default by the MS disk which I purchased as soon as Win7 released in October 2009. I was unable to trigger any BSODs at all, whereas the Intel 330 had BSOD'd on each and every resume.

Therefore, my Asus x83-vb laptop isn't incompatible with SSDs in general. There does appear to be some incompatibility issue with the Intel 330 but not with the competitor's non-Sandforce.

I have to say that Newegg came through with a little prodding. The Intel 330 had been sold at a steep discount ($102 for the 180GB) with the limitation that it would only be exchanged for the same product. Customer service refused a return at first. I stressed that two Intel 330 SSDs had failed to work properly despite hours lost of my time, and that the competitor's non-Sandforce had worked immediately without any handholding. The result is that I can send the Intel 330 back for store credit.

So, I think Starchild reached the right conclusion by giving up. And my suggestion to any lurkers seeking prepurchase advice is to avoid the Intel 330. In fact, avoid any and all Sandforce based SSDs or any "bargain" SSD from any company. I've lost at least $600 worth of my time (if not double that), making the Intel 330 false economy.

Message was edited by: David McCarry to remove the name of a competitor's SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have read many accounts similar to yours and all I can say is you guys must sure love your sleep mode!

It reminds me of the old joke: A man goes in to see a doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." and the doctor says "Then don't do that!".