cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 520 240 GB BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just upgraded to an Intel SSD 520 240 GB and I am experiencing a problem which never occurred with my previous HDD: a BSOD STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep

My system specifications are as follows:

• Asus U20A Notebook
  • Intel Dual-Core ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz
  • Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset + ICH9M
  • 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM
  • Intel GMA X4500MHD Graphics

I have disabled Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM), Host Initiated Link Power Management (HIPM) and Link Power Management (LMP). The problem occurs sometimes with Microsoft's AHCI drivers, and everytime with Intel's Rapid Storage Technology 10.8.0.1003 drivers. No minidumps are created.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a recently purchased Lenovo T430s ... latest BIOS and latest firmware on Intel 520 SSD. I can consistently reproduce the BSOD STOP 0xF4 crash by simply putting the laptop into sleep mode and then waking it up. It will crash 100% of the time when waking from sleep. Hibernate works perfectly, only sleep causes the error. A replacement Intel 520 SSD gave the identical BSOD.

A replacement samsung 830 drive works perfectly without any problem waking from sleep.

BTW, I tested using a disk image from the Intel 520 and restored that image to the Samsung drive - so this was a true test of the identical Windows 7 64 bit installation with all the identical settings and drivers. Consistently crashes when waking from sleep with Intel SSD -- and consistently wakes from sleep without any errors with the Samsung SSD.

NOTE: Since this is a Lenovo branded Intel 520, the firmware is from Lenovo's web page (LF1i) .... I have no way of knowing if Lenovo is supplying the same firmware that Intel is giving out as latest. Whether I use the Lenovo firmware update or the one I downloaded from Intel, both tell me I am currently at the latest version. I can only speak to the drive provided by Lenovo and the latest firmware provided by Lenovo

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same problem of BSOD 0xF4 on exit of sleep (normal sleep, the long/sleep/hibernate sleep works well).

See my post dated 25 Avril 2013, titled "Problems with SSD 335, 240 Go (BSOD, ...)".

I thought it was the Marvell SATA 3 driver that is faulty, but having read all your remarks, I am a bit lost.

I will try to connect the SSD to the normal SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) socket of my MB, instead of the SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) Marvell socket.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Starchild, please note that the problem that you are describing could be related with the specific chipset and hardware combination that you are using, if you want to make sure that the Solid State Drive is working properly I suggest you to perform a full diagnostic using the Intel(R) Solid State Drive toolbox, you can download that tool from this link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

If the tool does not show any specific error message then that means that the Solid State Drive is working properly, the recommendation will be to contact the system integrator and request further assistance on this specific issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same problem of BSOD 0xF4 on exit of sleep (normal sleep, the long/sleep/hibernate sleep works well)

See my post dated 25 Avril 2013, titled "Problems with SSD 335, 240 Go (BSOD, ...)".

I thought it was the Marvell SATA 3 driver that is faulty, but having read all your remarks, I am a bit lost.

I will try to connect the SSD to the normal SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) socket of my MB, instead of the SATA 3 (6 Gb/s) Marvell socket.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

You may want to run the diagnostic from the Intel® SSD Toolbox as suggested above.

Besides that, you may also verify in Device Manager (Control Panel) if the Intel® SSD is properly identified by the SATA controller; you may expand Disk drives and double click on the Intel® SSD, then, go to the Details tab and choose Hardware IDs in the Property's drop down menu. If the drive is detected correctly you should see IDE\... (not SCSI) at the beginning of the first lines.