cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 520 240 GB problems

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I received my Intel SSD 520 240 GB mid-June, and since then, I have been nothing but frustrated with this SSD and Intel's email support.

First off, let me start off with my system specifications:

Asus U20A Notebook

Intel Dual-Core ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz

Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset + ICH9M

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Intel GMA X4500MHD Graphics

Before upgrading to this SSD, I ran a 320 GB HDD in AHCI for 3 years on Windows Vista, and later, Windows 7 with absolutely no problems. After upgrading, I freshly installed Windows 7. The installation went without issue, but upon booting up into Windows, my system would frequently pause/freeze/stall for a minute-or-so, then resume for a few minutes only to pause again. I could still move the mouse, but running application would become completely unresponsive.

After multiple re-installations of Windows, updating Windows (which took all night with all the frequent pauses) and installing IRST 10.8.0.1003 drivers, the problem still remained. After installing Intel SSD Toolbox (took 15 minutes) and running a full diagnostic scan on the SSD, it came up with read errors within a few seconds. I RMA'ed the SSD only to have its replacement do exactly the same thing.

So now I'm thinking maybe it's my notebook. So I tested the new SSD in my older desktop with the following specifications:

Shuttle SG33G5

Intel Core 2 Quad

Intel G33 Chipset + ICH9DH

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Intel GMA 3100 Graphics

The SSD ran perfectly.

So with the SSD back in my notebook, and after some troubleshooting, I discovered that if I run the SSD in IDE mode, the pauses do note happen. Still unsatisfied, as obviously the SSD is much slower in IDE mode, I took to the forums in-search of a fix as Intel's email technical support is totally and utterly useless.

I found on Corsair's SSD support forums that one of their SSD that also uses the SandForce controller was suffering from similar pauses. The fix (discussed http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96663 here) was disabling Link Power Management (LMP) and it worked. Since then, Corsair has released a firmware update that addresses this issue. You also need to disable Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM) in the Intel SSD Toolbox, or else the pauses come back.

The fix is specific to the IRST drivers and involves modifying values within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor.

With the pauses fixed, now I am having another issue: I am getting a BSOD with STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep. Again, I took to the forums, and unsurprisingly, an OCZ SSD that also uses the SandForce controller was suffering from the exact problem (discussed http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?93140-Random-BSOD-0x000000F4-with-Vertex3-120... here). Just as Corsair did, OCZ released a firmware update to address these issues.

So besides disabling sleep, how do I fix the this BSOD STOP 0xF4? When is Intel releasing a firmware update to address these SandForce-related issues?

Also, below is my email communique with Intel technical support, just in case anyone is thinking that they will be useful.

Hello Marc,

Thank you again for contacting Intel Customer Support.

It is not necessary, they are in the previous emails.

Sincerely,

Mark B.  

Intel Technical Support

Original TextFrom:<<snipped>>To:mailto:support.replies_@mailbox.intel.com support.replies_@mailbox.intel.comCC:Sent:07/18/12 09:41:39Subject:Re: {ticketno:[8000475687]} - Your Intel Customer Support Inquiry

Can you please reiterate your recommendations?

On Jul 18, 2012 12:33 PM, <</span>mailto:SUPPORT.REPLIES@mailbox.intel.com SUPPORT.REPLIES@mailbox....

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Returned the 240GB and swapped it for a Samsung 830, ended up being $70 cheaper and works great!

Problem solved. Kinda

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm still testing, but it seems like all of my issues (periodic freezing and BSOD 0xF4 after resuming from sleep) have been fixed after upgrading to IRST 11.6.0.1030.

It also seems like this IRST disables HIPM/DIPM and LPM.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey starchild, I also had the same issue as you on my 520 drive. It seems that after swapping to the RST drivers, all issues went away. I also had my own thread about it;

After further research about Intel Chipset drivers, MS AHCI drivers and Intel RST drivers, I stumbled upon a thread on the Intel forums (though not in SSD sub-category) which the user explains in a small portion of his actual problem regarding Intel SSDs being used in laptops. That particularly helpful thread is included in my own thread in a quote.

Cheers to our 520 drives!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Unfortunately, it appears that updating to the latest IRST corrupted my SSD, causing explorer.exe and other Windows components to crash constantly and requiring the SSD to be scanned before each boot to recover bad sectors.

This was the last straw.

I sold the SSD and, like shadenz, purchased a Samsung 830 and I've never been happier.