cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 520 free space gone

afran8
New Contributor

Greetings!

I have an Intel 520 Series SSD since April, 2013, and today it kinda had a breakdown. Suddenly it was reported that my /home partition is full, literally 0bytes free, so I started deleting a couple gigabytes of data I could afford, but space was not being freed, 0bytes free remained. The filesystem is ext4. Next I ran a boot-time fsck, which did not change anything, and also forced a TRIM command, with no results. I continued to move data onto another external drive, deleting everything that is moved from the SSD, and after gigabytes of data have been moved, I finally got around 700MB reported to be free. Here is the output of smartctl, could anyone tell if this indicates that my drive is failing? if it is failing, are such issues covered by the warranty?

Thanks

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Model Family: Intel 520 Series SSDs

Device Model: INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3

Serial Number: CVCV304004HZ120BGN

LU WWN Device Id: 5 001517 8f368b994

Firmware Version: 400i

User Capacity: 120,034,123,776 bytes [120 GB]

Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical

Rotation Rate: Solid State Device

Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

ATA Version is: ACS-2 T13/2015-D revision 3

SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)

Local Time is: Tue Jan 12 17:59:58 2016 CET

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status: (0x00) Offline data collection activity

was never started.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.

Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine completed

without error or no self-test has ever

been run.

Total time to complete Offline

data collection: ( 2097) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: (0x7f) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Abort Offline collection upon new

command.

Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 1) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 48) minutes.

Conveyance self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes.

SCT capabilities: (0x0021) SCT Status supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0

9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032 000 000 000 Old_age Always - 914726h+06m+39.630s

12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 555

170 Available_Reservd_Space 0x0033 100 100 010 Pre-fail Always - 0

171 Program_Fail_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello akr0bat,

The data you provided does not show any problems in the drive. If the files can be accessed and you are not getting any IO errors, then the issue may be in the file system or the system configuration.

We would need more information in order to determine any possible reason for this behavior. Here are some things you may consider in regards to this:

- How did you notice the partition was full? (errors, warnings, system failure, etc)

- Confirm if your files are consuming all the space, or what should be the actual amount of free space.- Have you checked if there are any files consuming abnormal amounts of space? It is possible that an application or log is filling up your drive.- Were there any recent changes in the system that may be related to this? new software, hardware, configuration changes, etc.- In Linux, the best practice is to run TRIM manually or on schedule with the FSTRIM command; generally it is not recommended to mount the file system with the discard option.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello akr0bat,

The data you provided does not show any problems in the drive. If the files can be accessed and you are not getting any IO errors, then the issue may be in the file system or the system configuration.

We would need more information in order to determine any possible reason for this behavior. Here are some things you may consider in regards to this:

- How did you notice the partition was full? (errors, warnings, system failure, etc)

- Confirm if your files are consuming all the space, or what should be the actual amount of free space.- Have you checked if there are any files consuming abnormal amounts of space? It is possible that an application or log is filling up your drive.- Were there any recent changes in the system that may be related to this? new software, hardware, configuration changes, etc.- In Linux, the best practice is to run TRIM manually or on schedule with the FSTRIM command; generally it is not recommended to mount the file system with the discard option.