cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 NAND Write Problem

fZhan14
New Contributor II

Hello, everyone:

I bought an Intel SSD 530 120G for my laptop several days ago. It worked well with the OS Win8.1 Pro x64.

When I paid attention to the NAND writes, something make me confused.

The situation is as follow:

The SSD with the OS is the first(primary) Disk, and the HDD is the second one. I have moved the cache of IE, chrome and Firefox to the Hard Drive using IE setting or mklink command, and verified it correctly. With the explorer working, the written data stream from cache is produced in the HDD partition theoretically, also I have got this conclusion through the System's Resource Monitor and the Diskmon from Microsoft website. When I cached several Movies embedded in any explorer without other operation separately, there are lots of written data traffic produced in the HDD partition, and just little data wrote in system disk(SSD), it's no doubt. Finally, each test(using one kind of explorer) improved less than 200Mb in Total Host Writes which is normal for system operating, but this process also consumed about 3Gb SSD's Total NAND writes in total in the CrystalDiskInfo 6.0.1. Also I have got the same result with the newly Intel SSD Toolbox, AIDA64 3.20 and CrystalDiskInfo 6.0.1. In fact, this written data traffic produced by explorer's cache in HDD is calculated into the SSD's total NAND writes.

Actually I'm not care of the SSD's wear, and I'm sure it couldn't reach the limited lifespan with normal usage until next generation product arrives. This accidental discovery confused me now, and the result above make me suspect the theory, Putting IE/Chrome or System cache into other medium/drive saving your SSD's wear.

Q:Here, I want to know what makes this strange condition happen, the drivers, system's bug, bad support for old mainboard, the system's setting&config or the special system log?

Testing condition:

Thinkpad R400(GM45 motherboard)/P8700/8Gb RAM/Intel 530 SSD+Hitachi 7k500/Intel 5300 AGN/Win 8.1 Pro X64 with the Win 8.1's Default config and drivers, except trunning the service Superfetch off mannually.

I could make sure the location of explorer cache(IE, Chrome, Firefox) in HDD, also the written data traffic in HDD, and the vast imprived NAND writes in SSD simultaneously.

Thanks for your help.

154 REPLIES 154

ASeva
New Contributor

heya ppl

sorry for my bad english

have same problems on intel ssd 530 240gb with abnormal HIGH nand writes compare host writes

----

the drive is installed on the desktop and there is a tendency: the less is recorded on a disk, the relative (and sometimes completely) higher consumption flush. The high consumption of nand writes occurs while the system is idle when there are no active task. Nand writes reaches in hour 3-4gb when the host writes about 0.4-0.7gb

sf2-based, relatively recently, it added an additional level of energy saving, sending the drive into a deep sleep, and allows you to compare the consumption in a simple modern competitors.For example, if the "load" disk reading, sector 1 with the period of 125ms, that he had not time to fill the resource consumption (nand writes) radically reduced.For example Kingston KC300 has the same problem due to the timing of care in deep sleep, but Toshiba THNSNS deprived of this problem.Example timingKingston KC300 60gb fw.507KC4http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:11:45234:4683:8.png http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:11:45234:4683:8.pngKC300: nand/erase: 9549-9346=203GB, nand/write: 6194-6070=124GB, host: 1689-1657=32GB, wa~6,3(3,9)KC300 "deprived of sleep": 9555-9550=5GB, 6199-6194=5GB, 1694-1690=4GB, wa~1,25

and

Toshiba THNSNS 120gb fw.TA5ABBF0

http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:11:45234:4683:7.png http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:11:45234:4683:7.pngTHNSNS: 5388-5329=59GB, 2410-2376=34GB, wa~1,7of the software every time run ff,opera,utorrent with identical settings/your open web pages, but no interaction has not carried out, remained idle for 2-3 days.the main hypothesis about the causes of this behavior when on rare unsolicited entries ssd is deprived of the possibility to group the data to be burned forced to record them separately, allocating each record a new page to a flush.

differences between kc300/thnsns lie in different timing sleep:

the "ordinary" sf2 (with firmware versions 5.x) was two conditions:<50ms, consumption of about 200-300mA<p> >50ms, consumption of about 50-100mA[subject to the availability dipm], withdrawal from additional delay ~1.5ms

the new advanced came another.

KC300/60:<50ms, about 220mA<p> <700ms, about 50mA, delay ~1.5ms<p> >760ms, about 10mA[dipm], delay ~140ms

THNSNS/120:

<700ms, about 220mA<p> <2800ms, about 80mA, delay ~1.5ms<p> >2800ms, about 10mA[dipm], delay ~100ms

Is it possible to fix that in the firmware that was not elevated record nand writes due to the use of "deep sleep" with existing timings.

Implementation timings as Toshiba THNSNS or Intel 520Thanks and sorry again for the bad English.

I am experiencing large NAND write consumption as well. I have a new intel 530 120 GB ssd with a fresh Windows 8.1 install. After the initial install period with many host writes I immediately noticed that the NAND writes continue to accumulate with little corresponding host writes.

As of now: 90.22 GB host writes and 227 GB NAND writes.

I have observed that I accumulate about 1 GB NAND writes per hour idle when basically the only writes are lastalive0.dat and lastalive1.dat updating at the usual 1 minute interval. If I disable these writes I can achieve several hours without NAND writes incrementing.

Running Photoshop CC with scratch disk on a separate HDD I accumulate 4 GB NAND writes per hour with only 0.25 GB host writes. This is sitting idle with no image open.

Basically, any small amount of host writes triggers a large amount of NAND writes.

ASeva
New Contributor

I think this is a bad trend and increased consumption of flash write cycles. Frustrating earlier Intel products dont have this problem, and all because of deep sleep. Interestingly guarantee applies to Intel Host writes or NAND writes 20gb per day? What that comments from Intel will support on this issue?

ARu
New Contributor

Hi,

also have same issue with INTEL 530 SSD on 180 GB

any solutions? Intel team please advise

-Thanks

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

We are trying to recreate this issue.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.