cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 dead? - hang on bios load

ALuca5
New Contributor

So here's the deal, and I'll be quick. In October of 2014 I've bought an Intel SSD 530 series of 180 GB. My system configurations is like this:

1 SSD - with main boot

1 HDD - storage

i5 CPU

ASUS z-97K MB

8GB RAM

etc.

So my OS is on my SSD.

One week ago I started having some issues with my SSD, in the fact that I was loading the OS, and after 1-2 min it would freeze, blue screen (I'm on Windows), and then it wouldn't be recognized in BIOS. I've search on the net for some possible reasons, and I've came across the "Missing SSD syndrome". I thought that might be the problem, and started to test out some of the proposed solutions, but none worked. Eventually I got to run (by mysterious ways I guess) the SSD again.

Today I was browsing some files on my HDD when suddenly everything froze, and a BS prompted me. When I restarted the PC it would take around 2-5 minutes to even load the BIOS (it would hang on the press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS screen), and of course, the SSD is still missing.

For the picky ones out there, I do

- have the latest firmware on my SSD - it already came with the latest drivers

- have the latest latest drivers and BIOS

I've tried switching AHCI to SATA to RAID to AUTO from Bios.

so stop asking for that.

Remember that it worked perfectly for almost 3 months. (which is WOW for what reason? I don't know.)

Also, I'm using this computer "rarely" (1 or 2 hours per day, when I get back from work, usually browsing the internet / watching movies, so it's not that stressed).

SHOULD I CONSIDER THIS SSD AS BEING DEAD/BROKEN? I've already contacted my supplier for a full refund, since I'm very disappointed of this product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

You may try connecting the SSD to a different SATA port, and using different data and power cables.

If the system is still taking too long to complete POST, or to enter the BIOS setup, it would be good to remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

You may try connecting the SSD to a different SATA port, and using different data and power cables.

If the system is still taking too long to complete POST, or to enter the BIOS setup, it would be good to remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS.

Yeah, I have 6 different SATA 3 ports, and 3 SATA 3 data cables. Been switching them all night long. It didn't help. I'll try reseting the BIOS via CMOS battery, but I'm not that confident it'll work, since I'm using my remaining HDD, and it works smooth and well. Thanks for your reply, though.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

We should also take a look at the SMART Details for the SSD, you can get this information using Intel® SSD Toolbox.

Please check the SMART counters and post a picture if possible.

It seems that reseting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery made it show again in BIOS. Still, I'm taking my hardware to the service for a clearer verification.