cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 530 hangs for 30 seconds every few minutes.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with a new intel 530 240 GB SSD. I recently installed the hard drive into my laptop and have done a completely fresh install of windows 7 home premium. Everything works well except for the fact that approximately every two minutes, the LED indicator for the HD will go steady for about 30 seconds - one minute and no data transfer will occur. I can move the mouse and access some basic program functionality, but anything that requires HD use is frozen until the LED indicator begins blinking again. The intel SSD toolbox reports a healthy drive and my bios/drivers are up to date from the manufacturer. All windows updates have been installed. If I try to disable AHCI as has been recommended for other hard drives, windows gives me the BSOD on startup and goes straight to startup recovery (which reports no errors). Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hi sjrose, if you change the SATA controller mode to something different (other than AHCI in this case) it is expected that you will receive a Blue Screen of Death because the operating system was installed in such mode (AHCI). The operating system needs to be reinstalled after such setting is changed in BIOS.

However, it may not be necessary to do so. Can you provide more information about the system's brand and model? Is it possible to test the Intel® SSD in a different system? Did you try updating the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 Intel® SSD firmware or system's BIOS?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response!

The specifics for my system are below:

Sager laptop NP8170

Motherboard: Clevo P170HMx

CPU: Intel i7-2670QM

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6990M

Previous HD: 750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 HD

On the Clevo site, I'm not seeing any newer BIOS versions other than what came installed. The Intel SSD firmware is up to date according to the SSD toolbox. Unfortunately the other computers in my household are macs and trying the SSD there isn't really an option. Please let me know if you need any more info.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Update-- I attempted every fix I could find on any of the forums to include the low power registry edit, all driver updates, etc. In the end I reinstalled windows 7 again and switched to IDE instead of SATA and found that the problem is solved. Hope this helps other folks and intel continues to investigate this issue.